Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

what intercooler/radiator combo should i use for my Sunny engine conversion?
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
I am new to the Datsun restoration world. I've got a 78 sunny panel van as a project car and I'm looking at doing an sr20det or ca18det engine conversion to the car. i've got a quote from maddat for various parts for the conversion and i've asked a mechanic mate if he can help install the engine and gearbox. I am fine with paying for mounts and speedo and brake lines and all that but i want a cheaper alternative to their radiator and intercooler option which is $1700. i've read that for the radiator, most people use an s13 silvia rad or a n14 sss pulsar rad. which intercooler is most compatible with the sunny? I'm not too keen on chopping the car apart for installation of engine parts but if need be i'd rather keep it minimal. need help urgently. cheers.

Posted on: 2017/10/12 16:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: what intercooler/radiator combo should i use for my Sunny engine conversion?
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
The inexpensive option is the N14 or S13 radiators -- less than $100 new in USA. And it fits the engines. It's about the same size as the Maddat radiator. It can fit in the unmodified engine compartment, though most choose to cut the core support to let it sit more upright and open up more airflow to it. It comes in thin (CA18DE) and thick (SR20DET) versions

Most also choose to install a very large front-mounted intercooler, however remember that WRX uses a small water-cooled intercooler so you know it is effective. Maybe you could fit a narrower late-model OEM radiator alongside a small intercooler to the side (using the A/C opening), both behind the core support. Late-model radiators being aluminum are much cheaper than the superior copper designs. Almost no one uses copper anymore it just costs too much

CA18 stock OEM radiator in B110
Open in new window

Attach file:

jpg  Maddat RI003.jpg (94.85 KB)
174_59e0773b552f3.jpg 700X450 px

Posted on: 2017/10/13 9:22

Re: what intercooler/radiator combo should i use for my Sunny engine conversion?
Guest_

Posted on: 2017/10/14 4:42

Edited by unfamilia on 2020/3/29 13:07:50

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.