Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

What to do with my 120Y :)
Home away from home
From Goldcoast
Group:
Registered Users
Hi guys I have been thinking for about a month now what I should do with my 120Y.
Sofar I have come up with a few different ideas.
Firstly I am really interested in the performance side of things. I would love to build a beast of a car and just leave the body looking like it is, like a old granny sleeper :)
I think I have a fairly short attention with cars at the moment, meaning if I took on a massive engine conversion it would probably end up forsale before its finished.
I was thinking about A14 ect but I dont know I think I would still be chaseing more power.
I would love to turbo my original A12 but I know absolutly nothing about turbo set ups, I have been spent time looking through various turbo threads. I am a bit concerened about the cost involved in that one.
I am aware of the L series motors but still looking into that one.
At the moment I have a set of extractors & a webber carby, just wating for some more cash to have a exhaust made up.

So while I am trying to work out whats going to happen with a engine I have been trying to work out which route to take body wise.
I like the idea of a old school rally look not worry about the finish on the body work just add a set of arches some rims front lip some spot light and go and have some fun with it.
I like the look of the JDM cars but not sure if I want that on this one.
I could just use this one as a daily when my current one gives up the ghost, and by somthing already modified, been thinking about a 1600 latly that might be a bigger engine to work with.
Does anyone else have any ideas on what could be done with the 120Y?
The first couple of pics is how the car looks now and the third pic is a 120Y I saw on the net that caught my attention, best part of that one would be I already have the primer black paint sitting here doing nothing.
What do you guys think about the black one?

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Thanks
Andy

Posted on: 2012/11/2 2:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: What to do with my 120Y :)
Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Man i love b210's. They would have to be some of the most misunderstood datsuns i reckon.
Have a look at some of these photo's and tell it doesn't change your mind about wanting jdm.

http://high-top-fade.blogspot.com.au/search/label/B210

also i still think a "cranky" A15/A14 is more then enough power to have fun.

Posted on: 2012/11/2 2:41

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
Group:
Registered Users
ivebuilt a mild a12 for my ute, flat tops bores 20 thou slight headwork single sideraft, oval port head etc, witj 2k plus spent on it... now all i want is more!! if u want power do it right the first time... dont get me wrong the a12 is a very nice motor but i want more haha.
why not a worked a15 with twins? if u want to keep the budgetdown... or a ca which involves a bit more...

Posted on: 2012/11/2 2:59
SECURITY ASSESSMENT SERVICES AND ASSOCIATES http://www.sasaa.com.au
Auto Surplus - http://www.autosurplus.com.au
Mention you found them through here...

Home away from home
From Goldcoast
Group:
Registered Users
Nice link Dion, I think the main thing that puts me off the JDM style is how much body work would be involved.
The mojority of the JDM style cars I have seen have been mint, I am not sure if I want a really mint shiney car, I should also imagine that would involve extra cost paying someone to get the bodywork & paint up to scratch. As my back yard body skills wouldant be upto the job lol.

With the A12 I should imagine the only way to get a massive performance boost that would keep me satisfied would be a turbo set up.
I would like a CA but that would probably end up being too much of a project for me, just trying to be realistic.
Thanks

Posted on: 2012/11/2 3:57

Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, i would say the same with the old a12. They go hard but im always looking for a bit more.
Im not quite sure what you're looking for, any engine swap will take work, time and money...
Anything engine other than a series will need cross member mods and engineering, i would say a14/15 would be your best bet! Easy to work with, relatively cheap, sound awesome and pretty darn reliable too!
I would say a couple grand would be spent in order to get good hp, you could fuel inject and turbo it too if you dont want to for carbies. Or use fuel injection throttle bodies...
You mentioned "old school rally look" does this mean you're only going for the look or you're planning on rallying it?

Posted on: 2012/11/2 5:43
SECURITY ASSESSMENT SERVICES AND ASSOCIATES http://www.sasaa.com.au
Auto Surplus - http://www.autosurplus.com.au
Mention you found them through here...

From Armidale N.S.W
Group:
Registered Users
Honestly I wouldn't touch the paint just look after it repair/blow in any bare metal areas and go a front chin spoiler some nice old school rims lower it and put a healthy A14/A15 in it. But hey I'm just getting older and a bit over modified Datsun's. At the stage where I just want to zip/putt around and enjoy mine.

Posted on: 2012/11/2 8:50

Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
all things come in good time. i don't plan on fully respraying mine any time soon thats why i repair the doors and boot. high fill and the bolt on things then when it comes to the time i have the money for paint it will cost almost nothing

Posted on: 2012/11/2 10:56

Home away from home
From Goldcoast
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for your input guys, I think I am going to go down the rally route, I am not sure if I will ever take it rally driving but I really like the look of the older rally cars.
With the body, I will probably just replace the front guard and repair the paint where it has cracked on the door.
Still not sure about engine. Have to see what happens.

Posted on: 2012/11/3 1:21

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]