Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: Stock A12 Turbo, 70kw-96kw atw
Home away from home
From Vic Bendigo
Group:
Registered Users
how much for plans or something? im really wanting to do the same thing to my a12 at the moment so if you do sell the set up make sure to take heaps of photos and post them

Posted on: 2006/8/30 23:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From The garage, NZ
Group:
Registered Users
hey topgear. i read through trying to find out how much boost yu were running on the dyno but couldnt find out (prpb missed it, im dumb). so how much ? also you rekon that you'd be able to safely run it as a street car with the turbo setup and that much boost.

Posted on: 2006/8/30 23:25

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry cheater, you did ask that before and I forgot to answer....

Its running 14lbs, it creeps up to around 15lbs from about 5500rpm onwards...

It used to creep up to 18-19lbs before I retarded the timing...

I think it would be fine as a street car, depending how you drive it... If you thrash it everywhere well then it wont last forever obviously. But If you drive like a normal car, and give it a small squirt every now and then it should be fine. Remember its not stressed when it not boosted...

The other thing also is that if it sits idling for 10-15mins then you take off or rev it up it does blow a cloud of smoke initially, as the inlet side of the turbo is on vacum and oil gets sucked into the inlet,(obviously the seal is not correct for the application) but doesnt get burnt till it revs up... I think if you where sitting at the lights for a minute or so it would be fine...

Posted on: 2006/8/31 1:55

Home away from home
From Stray-ya
Group:
Registered Users
Topgear, will you let us in on your final timing spec and compression ratio?

From your workmanship, you cleary know what you are doing, but (at the risk of sounding negative) I am still battling to work out how you achieved this result.

15 psi implies about twice stock power- but it usually takes fuel injection and intercooling to achive that..... sometimes people do better than 2x stock with good head flow etc (which you should have from those manifolds) but you have achived around 3x stock power........ It just dosn't seem to add up

Are you sure the dyno sheets weren't back calculated for flywheel kW? (no disrespect here, just when I see something that looks too good to be true I tend to look for cracks in the story)

Posted on: 2006/8/31 2:18

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
I did a comp test the day before I dynoed it just out of curiosity and thay came up between 125-135lbs... about std??

It does have a std oval port head on it, but wouldnt have thought it would make that much difference...?

I dont get any excitement from having more hp than others, but do get gratification from making those figures with my own ideas and simplicity...

To be honest I was VERY surprised with the figures I end up with. I asked the guy who owned the shop (not trying to be rude) is the dyno acurate in its repeatability?? I was struggling to see why it was making so much???

I have used the dyno before playing with little A-series motors and it seems to be quite accurate, you come back on different days and its within 1-2kws..!?!

The guys there are used to doing 600kw atw GTR's.. but all stopped work when I rolled the little toy in and was making those figures??? They where all amazed and where checking to make sure the readings where right themselves... everything was correct...

Driving the car after was the true test, it DEFINATELY goes harder... and smoother!

I can understand your questions, Im as surprised as the next person

Do take into consideration that if you look at the exhaust out of the turbo, it goes straight into 3" all the way out the side of the car with no muffler (straight out pipe)...

Posted on: 2006/8/31 2:34

Home away from home
From Stray-ya
Group:
Registered Users
One of the veterans in this place will be able to confirm, but I am pretty sure the oval port was only on A14 and A15 motors, which would explain the lowish compression and good head flow.....

Do you know what the different timing adjustments were for the different runs?

Posted on: 2006/8/31 3:02

From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
Yes only a14s and a15s the only A12s with oval port were the GX heads. Maybe its a GX head, does it have double valve springs as well?.. Check the hed stamp and chuck them on here

Posted on: 2006/8/31 7:13

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
On the dyno sheet, are the flat lines the air/fuel ratio? If so it is spot-on, I didn't know a carb could work that well.

Posted on: 2006/8/31 8:32

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
No im sure its an A14 or A15 head. I wouldnt have thought it would be worth the large figures it has achieved?

They are a much better flowing head though...

I checked the timing, it appears to be about 6degrees before tdc.. not much...

Being a Stromberg / SU suction type carbie, there opening is dependant on air flow. As I mentioned earlier we would file a small flat on the back of the needle to give us more fuel. If it was lean up top we would file it off the bottom of the needle, and the opposite if it was lean down low. Very simple but very effective...

Posted on: 2006/8/31 8:36

From The garage, NZ
Group:
Registered Users
#### 15lbs is pretty impressive for a stock a12. i am very happy that someone got these figures from an a12.
i mean, now that i know that these STUPID figures can be achieved from a 30 or so year old pushrod 1200cc engine,
it makes my mind flutter with excitment as i try and think of ways to GET MORE POWER!!!
you have really inspired me and a lot of people i know. and have now made me want, no NEED to try something like this for myself.
Nice work, i look forward to seeing what this can produce when actually trying HARD (as you said this was a tester to see if it was possible) on an a15!
Good luck.....
now do a skid

Posted on: 2006/8/31 9:23

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.