Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

anyone wants a D.I.Y on how to install a gilmer drive on an A series engine?
Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Hey everyone i decided i wanted a gilmer drive on my 1200 with an A14 engine..
so i gave it a go aand i succeded!!

i know a few people are interested in doing this and just thought i'd post it up and see if anyone may need step by step help kinda like a D.I.Y. thread on this as i done all the work myself and im a qualified mechanic so its been done properly.. so is anyone interested in a D.I.Y. thread on how to install a gilmer drive Kit?

heres a few pics on how it turned out..

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2010/9/19 6:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: anyone wants a D.I.Y on how to install a gilmer drive on an A series engine?
Home away from home
From Geelong
Group:
Registered Users
i could well be man, but whats the benefits of them? have you noticed much power increase/response/torque? just for those (like me) that dont know haha

Posted on: 2010/9/19 6:41

Re: anyone wants a D.I.Y on how to install a gilmer drive on an A series engine?
Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
mate i think theres just less slip on the belt at high rpm and makes a loud winy noise like its supercharged.. i done it just for the noise i honestly dont think theres much if any performance gains..

Posted on: 2010/9/19 7:08

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Performance will be a little less. That wide belt takes a bit o friction to turn it.

in Japan racing, they use a gilmer belt thats only about 15mm wide, about the same as the stock V-belt -- but it won't slip like a stocker.

And it looks really cool.

Posted on: 2010/9/19 7:20

Home away from home
From Brisvegas
Group:
Registered Users
looks good mate , love the sound they make

Posted on: 2010/9/19 7:52

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Rosewood, QLD
Group:
Registered Users
yeah love the sound nice work mate.

may as well do a DIY for the gilmer drive then u can add it to the WIKI

Posted on: 2010/9/19 8:12

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Yes please!

Posted on: 2010/9/19 8:46

Edited by spraycanmansam on 2021/1/27 6:21:19

Home away from home
From port elliot , SA
Group:
Registered Users
hell yea how much did it set you back for all the pullys and belt ?

Posted on: 2010/9/19 9:08

Home away from home
From Geelong
Group:
Registered Users
DD do you know if those 15mm setups are available outside of japan? and yes prices lol

Posted on: 2010/9/19 9:32

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne Australia (and likely under the car)
Group:
Registered Users
There can be one 'big' drawback with these. A lot of the kits/adaptations end up spacing the belt centreline further forward, and this puts a disproportionately large stress on the bearings. generally alternators handle it pretty well, but water pumps don't. On the other hand, due to the nature of the belt/interlock with the pulley, you don't have to run a lot of tension to get grip (on that front 90% of people overtighten conventional v belts massively). So done right, you can 'get back' what you'd 'lose' as far as bearing life if it's not too far forward and it's not ridiculously tensioned

NOW to be FAIR the conversion you've done here actually isn't too bad on that front! And that actually puts it in a relative minority. Well done mate.

As long as you keep the belt tension and pulley placement right - about the only other thing to keep an eye on is to ensure the tooth count and subsequent drive ratios are a close match to the pulley diameter size ratios for the crank/waterpump/alternator. If you intend going really hard and high rpm, you could conceivably just run larger pulleys on alternator and w/pump and you're golden.

Out of interest - what did it cost you all up? I'm looking at such a setup (well not for the current ancillaries) to drive a supercharger. At the moment I'm seriously looking at just 'sourcing' the cam pulley (or a couple of them) and belt from a belt driven ohc engine (probably an rb30 since there's more than a few at the wreckers at the moment). Of course that limits me to a 1:1 ratio. bUt thankfully that is pretty much spot on.

Are there any listings/catalogues available where they offer a range of pulleys for the same belt tooth spacing (are there heaps of different tooth sizes around - I've never actually thought to look - for all I know they might only use a couple of common sizes or something) - anyone got a cheap source for the pulleys? (it'd be nice to have the option to alter the boost curve, but I'll live with 1:1 and a sc14 if not)

Posted on: 2010/9/19 10:31

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]