Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Dep's Sr20DET Sunny Pickup
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
What's up everyone, just joined up after lurking for a while trying to gather up as much info as I could.

Just moved to the Philippines from the States and bought a Nissan Sunny pickup '89 from my uncle. I live in the mountains and the little 1.3 liter struggled very much making it around town.

I considered a few different options for the engine and finally landed on the Sr20 redtop.

Still have much to do but currently the engine is installed. Front brakes were converted to discs(honda civic). The original steering box was changed out for a manual rack and pinion assembly(kia besta). IIRC we are using an inter cooler from an Eclipse and a radiator from a Toyota Vios of all things.

Next I am working on trying to get the LSD in the rear axle. I believe the rear end in the Sunny is the H-165...I found a used Nismo clutch type LSD from Japanese website, have a friend looking into it for me.

Now I will admit it isn't pretty haha. I did not get to be as involved as I would have liked to. Since I don't have a shop here to use I opted to let somebody else do the work. Looking forward to getting it back so I can go through and give it the TLC it needs.

Posted on: 2012/4/27 8:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Dep's Sr20DET Sunny Pickup
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
some of the photos were not loading, too big or whatnot... here are links if you want to check em out.

[img]http://www.600rr.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=24162&d=1325418942[/img]

[img]http://www.600rr.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=24565&d=1328141797[/img]
[img]http://www.600rr.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=24563&d=1328141750[/img]
Open in new window

Open in new window

[img]http://www.600rr.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=26631&d=1335274624[/img]
[img]http://www.600rr.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=26632&d=1335274642[/img]

Attach file:

jpg  sunny together 2.jpg (41.38 KB)
16409_4f9a4da44f2e2.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2012/4/27 8:42

Home away from home
From Sydney NSW
Group:
Registered Users
sounds goood, have to get some pics up

Posted on: 2012/4/27 8:44

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Also, everybody feel free to give me your .02 about the LSD options for the rear end... still not 100% certain on the route I should take. Have seen some really interesting builds from this forum, be glad to hear what your suggestions are.

Posted on: 2012/4/27 8:49

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Looks good so far.

Go with the Nismo H165 LSD unit.

Posted on: 2012/4/28 3:22

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
yea that would be the easiest. do you have one for sale i will gladly purchase haha.

still waiting to here back from a place in Japan about a used unit actually.

Posted on: 2012/4/28 4:55

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Nyngan, nsw Australia
Group:
Registered Users
a rack under a 1200

Posted on: 2012/4/28 6:18

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Another 1200 with rack & pinion.

The Besta seems a bit wide to have a rack small enough. If the pivot-to-pivot points are wider than 473mm (18.6") you may find the steering doesn't corner optimally and/or will wander on straight roads. But then again, it may work better than worn-out 1200 steering box.

The Besta is the Kia Bongo/Pregio/Besta van. AYMESA is building them now that they no longer build 1200s.

Posted on: 2012/4/28 7:20

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Nyngan, nsw Australia
Group:
Registered Users
looks to have a different x-member aswell?, must work ok

Posted on: 2012/4/29 1:26

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hello again. time for a quick update.
finally i received the truck from the shop. drove it about 5 hours to my uncles house where i will continue to work on it, that is only about 1 hour away. ( that is apparently a small distance here in the philippines as i am learning)

all in all i have to be happy. the sr20 has balls for sure, the power is great. mountain roads will no longer slow this sunny pickup down one bit.

so yes, i did the sr20det, disc brake front conversion( mitsu. eclipse) rack n pinion and various small things.

still to be done, wheel alignment, that is happening today. tune up on engine, plugs, oil, clean the MAF, stuff like that. it started to have hesitation under heavy accell on the way home, i suspect it is spark or MAF. they used a silvia fuel pump so i dont suspect any problems with fuel delivery.

i have an AEM Wideband sensor unit that i will also install, to ensure that the fuel system is working properly. i will change the exhaust this week and also prep it for the AEM unit.

the new wheels and tires 14x7 banana type mags, they were quite a bit larger than stock even being 14" diameter. i think the width is what really caused issues, also, they are a 0 offset so i did have some rubbing on the front fenders. simple enough, had the place remove fenders, i will trim and mount some flares to compensate for the extra width of the tires.

FMIC will be next, right now they mounted it in the fender well, i don't know why.. haha but anyway, that will be going out the window and install something much more classy.

that brings me to a question. i want to get something for the front end, bumper/spoiler set up. i suppose i am just looking in the wrong places or i do not know how to word my searches properly...

some tips or tricks helping me to find all of the options for front end cosmetic stuff would be GREATLY appreciated.

i also do intend on uploading some more photos/videos. don't worry! =)

it is very satisfying to see people turn their head, double take, when they see this truck fly by and hear the BOV ahha! lovely. currently it has TWO mufflers on it.. i told them straight pipe! haha i think a lot of my instructions were just lost in translation, my fault for not speaking the lang fluently.

5 months later though, finally to a point where I can work on it. very happy very very happy.

Posted on: 2012/7/2 8:58

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.