Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Datto 1200 Coupe Build
Just popping in
From Andrews Farm 5114, SA
Group:
Registered Users
Thought I would finally put up a build thread, I've been lingering around the forum for a while. I got my 1971 coupe around 6 months ago for my first personal project, but I'm about 80% through a resto with my grandfather and his Holden FX Ute where I've basically done the work and gained most of my knowledge from, so here are the details:

Stock A15 power house, haven't really looked at the internals or head yet but it will be rebuilt in the future.

4 Speed manual.

Stock disc brake front end.

Wheels are 13" Work Equips 1

Bog everywhere as you can see in the pictures.

Rust in the floor pan, passenger inner and outer seal, rear beaver panel, rear lower quarters, gutters, C pillars, spare wheel well, rear light sections, fire wall/cow and a little were the front bumper mounts.

Has no carpet.

Rubbers are completely shot I had 50-70mm deep puddles in the floor during the winter haha, but have 90% of them already plus I have shed space now thank god.

Under sized carby for the A15 (to my knowledge through both B310 and B110 manuals it's the A12 carb).

No choke connected so the previous owner used Start Yah Bastard all the time and idled at 2100rpm with timing being ridiculously advanced the number escaping me right now but it was way too much from what I can remember

Ran way to rich to the point the plugs had fuel on them and it sounded like a rotary without the choke on.

The dodgiest wiring I had ever seen in the engine bay, the alternator wiring was twisted and taped so when I got it running one day the charge light came on and my mate and I where scratching our heads late Sunday night and couldn't figure it out, so I limped it home and later that week I tugged on the wires connecting it to the stock loom and they came straight out and was coated in slim (from the tape I gathered). So I soldered (I know it some say it's bad) that up and she was all fixed, no new alternator was needed.

Suspension was shot, I reckon my mate's tractor sat lower than this haha.

Attach file:

jpg  1.JPG (75.53 KB)
17661_54727e1df02e3.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  2.JPG (91.30 KB)
17661_54727e248a7c0.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2014/11/24 0:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Datto 1200 Coupe Build
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Open in new window

the Mint Seats it came with.

Open in new window

Open in new window

The only mat I didn't look under when I purchased the car :/

Open in new window

Passenger Sill panel and floor pan

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Rear beaver panel has seen better days

Open in new window

Open in new window

And the rear light surround/hole, its like this for both sides

Open in new window

Posted on: 2014/11/24 1:19

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
good luck ,it will look great one day

Posted on: 2014/11/24 1:30

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, it's seen better days, and my skills are getting better with every panel I make so hopefully by the last one I'm good haha

My plan it to smash out the body work after my Uni exams on Saturday and have it ready for me to paint it by January.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 1:37

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
The photos are kinda outta whack at the moment but actual The first thing I did was the suspension, because as you can see they literally fell apart on me. I replaced all the shocks with somewhat decent shocks KYB ones and put low King Springs in the front and 2" blocks in the rear.

Open in new window

Open in new window

the U bolts for the blocks didn't fit in the bracket for the springs so my mate and I had to bore out the holes and elongate them as they hit the springs when we tried to fit them the first time

And this is how it sits now, it ain't no Tractor anymore ;)

Open in new window

Posted on: 2014/11/24 1:48

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
The first sheet metal work I have ever done was on the floor pan, where it was Swiss cheese, I ended up having to cut a whole strip of it out and replace most of the inner sill, all with a gas-less MIG welder.

Open in new window

Open in new window

First bit of metal going back into the car.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Then it was time for the outer sill panel

Open in new window

Must of got my potato out for this picture

Open in new window

Open in new window

Another Shot taken with the potato haha
there's a few marks left from the grinder but they should smooth out with some bog, and since I take it out to a car meet every once an a while i painted it with colour coded paint and no bog as I will be bringing it back to bare metal soon anyway.

Open in new window

Posted on: 2014/11/24 4:54

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Next was the rear beaver panel, this was quiet far gone so i replaced a lot of it including some of the boot floor

Open in new window

I must say a air hammer is a god sent if you don't plan on using the panel again.

Open in new window

Open in new window

I got the inner support in, since there were several curves in different axis's i ended up welding to panels together, the vertical one that bowed then the bottom part where the spot welds go, it made it a lot easier to make. It doesn't look pretty but it's strong and hey who's gonna see it... apart for all you guys haha

Open in new window

took hours to fit that last piece

Open in new window

That day I took it to a dyno day for #OOPS#s a gigs, it was only 30 bucks anyways, so I put the rear back together with some hep for my mate didn't turn out not bad just need to grind down the spot welds. Also instead of spot welding the license plate support in I welded some nuts on the inside of the panels for easy removal.

Open in new window

Posted on: 2014/11/24 5:06

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
My mate convinced me that he would do this quick 5 minute repair around the rear light, "it's a straight panel easy as" well it turned out to be a couple of hours in the end.

This was the expected rust repair the little rectangle.

Open in new window

Ended up being this big with 3 right angle bends and the curved surround to the right.

Open in new window

He still wanted to do the panel, but ended up bending it the wrong way a couple of times, so I remade the panel when he went home, you can tell which one I ended up using.

Open in new window

The curve ended up being a easy, I managed to get the curve by hammering the metal against the one of the pointed panel beating hammers, got that put in.

Open in new window

then I welded the rest in

Open in new window

Open in new window

Then some paint, once again no bog and it was like it never happened :)

Open in new window

Posted on: 2014/11/24 5:20

Home away from home
From A-TOWN
Group:
Registered Users
Nice work mate!

Posted on: 2014/11/24 12:34

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks mate, although I haven't had time really to do any work on it for a couple of weeks, but that will change next week.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 12:36

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]