Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Swirl pot
Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
With this swirl pot just wondering what the three an fittings are for and would the internal pump be a lift pump and then put a high flow pump after that?

http://m.dhgate.com/product/epman-high-performance-2l-aluminium-surge/250636025.html#s1-2-1;searl|879237387

Posted on: 2016/9/11 1:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Swirl pot
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Lift pump needs high flow too as it supplies all the fuel needed. The EFI pump boosts the pressure up to 40 or 60 psi

With most setups there is no need for a lift pump, just use a $60 to $125 EFI pump -- they'll pump all the way from the tank to the front of the car. Carter P74015 ($70 USD) or the famous Walbro 255 will work

$23 for a new swirl pot is an awesome price. Much less expensive than the common Ford swirl pot ($55)

Posted on: 2016/9/11 7:38

Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
So if I wasn't using a lift pump I could have tank -> filter -> swirl pot -> bosch 44 pump -> efi filter -> fuel rail -> regulator -> swirl pot again?

I'm thinking of using an an bulkhead fitting and some hardline in the float mount to set up a return line to tank from swirl pot.

Posted on: 2016/9/11 7:43

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Float mount setup? It's more reliable if you don't use complicated setups

If you use a lift pump, you can use inexpensive, low-pressure fuel lines for the majority, only using the high-pressure lines & fittings in the engine bay. You can also use a low-pressure (cheap) swirl tank

Here a lot of guys put the EFI pump in the rear and pump fuel all the way forward. In the rear so they can mount the pump below the tank level. But you can also put the EFI pump in the engine compartment and pull fuel forward though low-pressure lines & fittings

In short, there are MANY ways to "do it right". The new systems don't even use a return line

Posted on: 2016/9/11 8:22

Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
I'll take more of a look at what some of the guys on here have done

Posted on: 2016/9/11 8:25

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Internal pump. Swirl tanks designed for submerged fuel pump like this can be used with external pump -- bolt a plate to the large opening with a tube or hose running down to the bottom of the tank. The engine fuel supply always comes from the bottom of the swirl pot to ensure a steady fuel supply. The fuel rail return can be attached to one of the small holes

This inexpensive swirl tank appear to require custom fabricated inlets and outlets. No big deal, just have the fuel tank return line draw from the top of the swirl pot (so air bubble are returned), and the other two fittings an inch or two lower down than the top

The Nissan Silvia uses a single EFI pump with no lift pump. So does the Ford systems. The 1980s Ford EFI used fuel tanks with simple baffling hence the need for the Ford swirl pot. I like the F-150 swirl pot because it is compact and readily available used (or even new). They are designed for 44 psi if I remember correctly

Lift pumps are used where there is a possibility of fuel running out (like with the stock 1200 tank which only has simple baffling). The "lift pump" (like the stock A engine mechanical pump) has no problem if the fuel flow is interrupted. So it supplies fuel to the swirl pot, and since the EFI pumps draws from the bottom of the pot then it will never (theoretically) suck air from the tank which will cause the engine to stumble. A carburetor has a built-in swirl pot (the float chamber)

Some of the guys on here have fitted R31 tanks to their 1200s and done away with the lift pump and swirl pot

But most use the old two-pump method. Maddat makes a nice complete solution
Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2016/9/11 9:06

Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks so much for all the info David. That maddat setup looks great.

I'll have a chat to them on Monday!

Posted on: 2016/9/11 9:21

Home away from home
From Sydney , NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Hey thomen,
Call past my website www.zerotolerancemotorsport.com.au then give me a call or email.
Should be able to help you out.
Cheers,
Jeff.

Posted on: 2016/9/11 12:51

Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Jeff!

The alternative is to fit a different tank which would also be interesting!

Posted on: 2016/9/11 23:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]