Pick up only!

Posted on: 2008/9/7 2:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: A12 heads *CHEAP*
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
The two in the top picture look to be one Datsun 1200 head, [not the later A12] & one A10 head. Essentially the same but they have different positions for the heater hose fitting. Look closely.
These can be used on any A series engine without worries about rocker oiling problems.

Posted on: 2008/9/7 4:21

Just popping in
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks you for the correction.

Could you tell me which 1 is which?

:D

Posted on: 2008/9/7 6:01

Group:
Registered Users
The cylinder head on my own 1200 coupe, & I assume it's the original, has the heater fitting in the high position, the same as the lower/closer head on your photo.

Since the A10 head was the only other one with the same drillings for rocker oiling as these have, but with a different heater fitting location I can only conclude that the head with the fitting in it, located lower down, must be from an A10 engine.

The head in your second picture seems to have the high mount hole, so it would be a 1200 head, or perhaps a later A12, I can't tell from this angle.

Posted on: 2008/9/7 6:43

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think you can use either head on a newer 120Y A12 block.
I had to drill a new oil gallery in my 1200 head to fit a 120Y block as I was getting no oil up top.
Or did I have a 120Y head on a 1200 block???I can't remember now. Can someone clarify this

Posted on: 2008/9/7 23:54

Group:
Registered Users
The early [front distributor] heads will work on ANY Datsun A series engine, however the later [rear distributor] heads will not work on the earlier [front dist] cylinder blocks unless a mod is made to allow transfer of oil to the rockers.

Posted on: 2008/9/8 3:46

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Dodgeman!!
Just refresh my memory..why can one fit all but the later one can't....doesn't make sense.

Posted on: 2008/9/8 6:24

Group:
Registered Users
In the A10 & 1200, there is a vertical oil gallery on the spark plug side of the engine up to the deck. There is a matching, but short vertical drilling in the A10 & 1200 head.
There is also a horizontal drilling that intersects the short vertical one & this is drilled across into the nearest head bolt hole. You can see the small plug that fills the outside end of this horizontal drilling on all A10 & 1200 heads.
Oil then fills the head bolt hole & travels upward. It can't come out the top because the head of the bolt is blocking it.

There is also a diagonal drilling from under the middle rocker pedestal down to this head bolt hole & oil then travels up this drilling & into the rockers.

In the newer engines, the block casting was altered at this head bolt hole with additional material under it to allow it to be drilled deeper. A longer bolt is used & the threaded portion now sits deeper down in the block than the other 9 bolts.

This then allows the uppermost threads of this headbolt hole in the block to be removed leaving a short plain hole above the threads of the new/longer headbolt.

This then allows a diagonal drilling down to the oil gallery & oil is now fed to the same head bolt hole in the head, but directly & not via additional drillings in th head. It flows up the head bolt hole in the head & into the rockers the same as before.

Scenario 1. Early head on late block.
The oil is fed to the base of the head, at the head bolt hole as previously described, then up the headbolt hole & into the rockers. The two additional drillings for the early head do not connect with anything & now perform no function at all.

Scenario 2. Late head on early block.
Oil is fed up vertical drilling in A10 or 1200 block to base of head on the spark plug side. Because the late head does not have, or need, any drillings at this point, the oil flow stops right there.
Nothing can flow to the head bolt hole, & from there to the rockers.

Hopefully it makes sense now.

Posted on: 2008/9/8 6:43

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Thats it!! Yes Dodgeman you are the man! I had to read it a couple of times but it all came flooding back.
Thankyou. You are an asset to this forum.

Posted on: 2008/9/8 7:21

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]