Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

methanol a12?
Just can't stay away
From sunshine coast
Group:
Registered Users
Methanol a12 ? Is it worth the effort or should I stop wasting time and money and just do an engine conversion to something like a 4age ?
Wondering which one will be better bang for buck ...basically
Just need some direction ...any help will be appreciated :)

Posted on: 2011/11/18 11:55
89 500 ktm
07 250 CR
vintage mx ....
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: methanol a12?
Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
hey speedaddic,
if your after bang for buck, then turbo engines will be your best bet.Id say along lines of ca18det.Ofcourse check legality of any engine conversion before spending heaps just to find out you can't register the car if thats what ur intentions are.
im hoping to modify an a12 and run it in the future.Id say build a crazy a12 mate.im not sure of driving a methanol a12 though and how it would respond in the street.

Posted on: 2011/11/18 12:22

Just can't stay away
From sunshine coast
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah ...I'm just stuck at the moment with what to do. I've got a lot of go fast bits for the a12 but wondering if it will even make 100hp ..
I run one of my bikes on methanol and it goes like a rocket ...it would be nice if I could make the old ute do the same thing Hahahah :P

Posted on: 2011/11/18 12:37
89 500 ktm
07 250 CR
vintage mx ....

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Fast a12 engines are pretty unique in their own rights as most upgrade to a14s/a15s as its the most simple way to up the a-series power.A worked a12 sounds great and revs hard.

Depending on what your after,if not fussy,try and minimize any weight possible while running the a12.smaller,lighter battery,fibreglass or carbon bonnet and guards ,no carpet and sound deadener, etc will not be comfy but should be fun.also a good clutch and a lighter flywheel.

Some forum members have modified a series engines and would offer better advice in relation to running methanol i.e Compression,metal head gaskets and the sort.Personally, i wouldn't run methanol on street and would first find out if its legal to use it in your state.
From what ive read on this site,very modified a series are not too street friendly.

if your after bang for buck, your better off with a good affordable turbo engine.Modified a-series gear can easily top up the costs for a turbo engine conversion with slight power increases for a lot of money spent.

and if you don't mind me asking, what bits do u have for your a-series.im very interested with a series go fast bits.pm me if you want.

cheers

Posted on: 2011/11/18 15:02

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Methanol is alcohol and requires approximately twice the fuel flow. So it requires larger fuel lines, fuel pump and modified carburetor.

It won't make any more HP than gasoline. It allows you to run more compression, but so does racing gasoline without the need for extensive fuel delivery modifications.

Posted on: 2011/11/18 20:23

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
What ddgonzal says is right.It is the ability to raise the compression without detonation that yields the increase in power.

Generally the engine will run cooler which may be a real benefit.

Methanol has an octane rating of about 108 . As for racing fuel that will depend on who supplies it so you need to check the Octane rating with them. You should also realise that LPG has an octane rating of around 112. A purpose built dedicated gas only engine may be worth investigating.

Posted on: 2011/11/18 21:48

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From East New Britain, Papua New Guinea
Group:
Registered Users
To take full advantage of running an alcohol fuel you have to make significant changes to the engine so it can accommodate that fuel.

If you are pursuing more power and you are open to other engine conversions then it's a pretty bizarre question, the answer is obvious.

If you are pursuing more power and want to stick with the A-series then go find more cubic inches.

Other wise tell us what your budget is, what else you want to do with the A12 and the question would be much easier to answer. You haven't even mentioned any other upgrades and to be honest an A12 running on methanol would be absolutely shyte unless you go for a significant upgrade in induction, compression and cam (money, money money).

Bang for buck = more cubes.

Posted on: 2011/11/18 22:19

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
E85 is a better option by far, but again you are limited by the inherent issues of the A series - being the strength of the standard components, and the lack of capacity (particularly with an A12).

You are better going A14/A15 or L-series if you want bang for buck, but even then you will get belted by even the most basic turbo efi car.

Posted on: 2011/11/19 9:03

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
E85 won't make any more HP than gasoline, so the A12 can handle it no problem -- if you upgrade the fuel system as previously described for alcohol. The A12 block, crank, rods & pistons are already strong enough for alcohol.

Posted on: 2011/11/19 9:07

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
One would assume that if you are going to the trouble of running E85 or methanol that you are actually doing something to the engine, in which case you can easily double your power.

Generalising a little but an engine will make the same power no matter what fuel you run it on. All a different fuel means is that you can run a more aggressive state of tune, which is where the power increase actually comes from.

You need compression (or boost if you're talking turbos), timing, cams & revs to get the best out of advanced fuels.

NB: you need 200-300% of the fuel system for methanol, but only about 30% more fuel E85.

Posted on: 2011/11/19 10:49

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.