Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 29 »

Re: 3J Improved Production coupe- Racing Videos & Progress
Home away from home
From Central coast NSW
Group:
Registered Users
I know how much of a pain it is to be pulling them apart so many times and u my friend have some patience... Hope u get the results for the effort.
Great work!!

Posted on: 2015/3/2 9:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne AUS
Group:
Registered Users
i had similar issues with the toyota lsd in my old ute. i had rebuilt the lsd and set the preload to hilux spec and then some...
it was enough that it wouldnt slip at times when you needed it to (slow turning, u-turns etc) but it would still always slip heavily whenever
i got the ute on the track giving me terrible drive off corners. i had considered a locker but never went down that path, afraid of introducing
even more understeer. Hopefully you'll have more luck with the coupe body being better balanced giving you more weight over the rear wheels.

ive got a kaaz unit in the track sedan now and absolutely love it, never slips! im only pushing 130rwkw though

best of luck

Posted on: 2015/3/2 9:54

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
yeah I hear what your saying. I'm hoping with extra preload (not over the top amount) it might grip up better on corner exit but still give some slip in the corner.

Kaaz will be in as soon as I can get my hands on one (Pending the results of this of course).

Posted on: 2015/3/2 10:31

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne AUS
Group:
Registered Users
yeah the kaaz are a good thing! In my previous post i said it never slips, wrong choice of words although i think you got what i meant..
of course it provides slip when required, but ive never had 'single wheelspin' through a corner is what i should have said.

there'll be heaps of improvement in your lap times once you've got it hooked up on corner exit

Posted on: 2015/3/2 10:51

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Well this weekend is the start of the racing season.
Heading out tomorrow for a practice run before Saturday racing.
Up against some very quick cars on Saturday, including the 2014 national O2L champion. Not expecting big things but will be very good to get back on the track.
Have a pair of new front shoes lined up for Saturday, will see how it impacts on lap times.
Field is 31 cars, going to be a cracker.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 9:51

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Well things didn't go so well on Friday.
On return from the first session (5 laps), engine was making a ticking noise.
Didn't want to risk running it on race day in anger, so pulled out of todays meet.
Suspect (Hope) its a failed lifter, but haven't got to a point of teardown yet to tell. Hope it hasn't caused a valve to hit or worse not a lifter and it's a spun bearing.

Also noted the turbo dump pipe was cracked, will need to repair this but probably would have run with it the way it is, i'll add an extra exhaust mount to take the load off it in the future.
Last issue was the harmonic balancer had come loose (Possible I didn't tighten the front bolt properly when I had the head off last year). As a result the woodruff key had broken in two. Will need to replace (requires taking the crank timing gear off too), I will probably replace the balancer with a ross racing balancer whilst it's out. This will under drive the water pump and alt which is a good thing.

Anyway, these things happen. On an upside the rear bar was a worthwhile upgrade, front inside wheel now stays on the track and contributes to traction around corners :) car felt better mid corner too.
Unfortunately the extra diff pre-load did little to fix the open wheel issues on corner exit, actually, the sway bar probably exacerbates the issue by making the car go into oversteer more. Oh well, when Kaaz in stock again, I will put one in.

Other then all that, car felt good on the track. Driver was rusty, not enough running to break any records, but was good to blow out the cobwebs.

Posted on: 2015/3/21 8:47

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Well after taking all the lifter out, pulling each apart and rebuilding all 16 (a few hours of work), engine still has knocking noise :(
I borrowed a boroscope from work today and had a good look inside.
Unfortunately/or maybe fortunately, I have cracked the ring landing on No. 3 piston... Unsure if this is the ticking/knocking noise but suspect it is, still in place but can clearly see a section cracked. No. 4 cylinder was already carrying damage from a bolt ingestion many years ago so the piston and head in No. 4 look like the surface of the moon anyway.
So....time to rebuild.
Will bump up the compression this time round, looking to go to 10/10.5:1, refresh the bottom end with new bearings and have a look at the what head work makes sense, thinking of doing the Exhaust cam swap with some adjustable timing gears. Don't need big cams in a restricted engine.

Will keep you posted on the progress.

Posted on: 2015/3/27 10:25

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
A couple of photos from the boroscope.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2015/3/28 8:03

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
just went back through your build just to get a picture of how much work went into your car. a lot of knowledge and smarts to get this far :) Have you checked the injectors to see any buildup from the e85. Mine needed to be serviced after sitting for 2 months; white slug. Need to drain the fuel and change my filters too.

Posted on: 2015/3/28 8:29

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Well the pictures can be deceiving. It isn't cracked...
Back up into the head area to determine what the rattle is.
Noticed all the intake runners with the injectors had black tacky stuff all over them, where as the others without injectors did not. Wonder if some rubber in the fuel system has broken down with E85.
All the filters looks clean, unsure. I did use some upper engine cleaner a while ago, I wonder if that may have reacted with the ethanol and caused it to gunk up??

Anyway, while I have the engine all apart I might still go with the rebuild.
Will keep you posted.

Posted on: 2015/3/29 10:08

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 29 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.