Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Blown head gasket
Home away from home
From Good Old Knockfull, Tennessee, USA
Group:
Registered Users
To answer a couple of more questions.

One of the first things that I do to any car that I get to drive any time at all it to put an electric fan on it. I always put it to a relay to keep from burning up the ignition switch but I do make it to where it comes on as the ignition comes on. I want a fan running all of the time. I need to put an elecrtic water pump motor on it also and link the water pump and fan to a thermostat. This was a requirement with all of my turboed motors.

My radiator is a new, very large, three core radiator for an 88 Dodge. The radiator is more than effecient and the temp needle rarely runs up to the cold mark.

Mareo

Posted on: 2002/8/3 0:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
thats not good to be running cold all the time though, i usually sit and let my engine warm up before taking off just to avoid damage and to preserve the motor

Posted on: 2002/8/3 3:09

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Your're right, bad timing can cause an engine to overheat. It's not cause it's running in a rich condition (that would actually cool the motor). If it's too advanced, it will detonate (ping or knock) and can damage the head, piston or even the block.
Quote:
he couldnt tell me why the car heated up so much the first night we had it back

Haha, I remember this - happened twice to me. When you change the coolant, the cooling system system should be bled or it can get hotter than normal. For me it didn't actually boil over, but the gauge going up freaked me out. When you fill up the radiator, there is still some air in the engine or hoses. To bleed it, you open up a high spot in the system and run it until the air leaks out, meanwhile keeping the radiator topped up (do this when it's cold, of course). Or just let it cool back down and top it up again.

Many cars don't have this problem, but the 1200 does. Some cars like the old Honda Accord actually had a bleeder valve (just like for the brakes) in the cooling system. The 1200 doesn't.

Posted on: 2002/8/3 5:16

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.