Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Wildcat VS Hurricane Header: Question of Quality
Quite a regular
From Macon, GA, US
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry for never following this up. Kirk racing found his jig and made me one. The cost was around $250 at the time, but it took a while to get here. So long that I had forgotten that I had ordered it. All the sudden there was a charge on my card and 3 days later I had this large box on my doorstep. All in all it took like 2 months.

The only issue I have with the kirk headers is that the exhaust flange is so much thinner than my bogg r1 manifold. It's like 1/4inch thick vs almost 1/2inch on the bogg. I'll either have it modified or figure out a way to make them work.

This is the only picture I have of the headers. They've been in storage as the 4dr is on the back burner for a bit:

Open in new window

Posted on: 2015/1/24 15:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Sounds like a bargain: high quality + low price.

It is most for the header flange to be thinner than the cast intake flange. Spacers are used, I cannot find a pic but as I recall they are like a small steel plate with two bolt holes.

Posted on: 2015/1/25 10:48

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
One idea is tac weld a spacer on the flange where the washer sits. I used a nail the right thickness when I had to do it.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 2:43

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From East New Britain, Papua New Guinea
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The only issue I have with the kirk headers is that the exhaust flange is so much thinner than my bogg r1 manifold. It's like 1/4inch thick vs almost 1/2inch on the bogg

There is some merit in going with a very thin flange as this makes the header more likely to bond to the cylinder head as the material is more flexible compared to thicker steel. This translates to a cost saving for the fabricator as they wouldn't need to surface mill the flange if it is heavily warped (which is a pain the arse).

Thinner, lighter material may also dissipate heat faster making them less likely to deform during fabrication.

........Or it may simply be a fabricators preference. Either way if those are lightweight race specific headers I think they are brilliant, if one would prefer longevity then perhaps a heavy cast-iron alternative would be better.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 7:53

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.