Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

1200 ute drift building.
Quite a regular
From Melbourne VIC
Group:
Registered Users
Hey guys, bought my 1200 a few weeks ago and spent every night on it since. Just wondering what do you guys think is the essential mods to get these toys sideways.

I had a local datsun guru have a look at my ute the other day, and his advice to get the back lower was this:
1-Remove the bottom leaf spring
2-Flip it upsidedown
3-Put it on top.

Is this a safe and successful way to lower the car? or will consequences come bite me in a few years time.

Last question is this, is the standard A12 engine capable of take it sideways I know drifting is about the driver but ofcourse the car does have some input also.

Budget drift build so shoot your ideas I'd love to hear them and implement them!

Posted on: 2014/4/4 0:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 1200 ute drift building.
Home away from home
From WA perth
Group:
Registered Users
you need lots off hp before you even start before you start setting up the car . like a v8 or abig turbo motor

Posted on: 2014/4/4 8:36

Home away from home
From South East Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shanepickett wrote:
you need lots off hp before you even start before you start setting up the car . like a v8 or abig turbo motor

lol

Posted on: 2014/4/4 9:20

Just can't stay away
From Cheltenham
Group:
Registered Users
Leaf flip was the budget answer to lowering the back of your car, Blocks or reset leafs is if you want to spend money.

Have a look through the Tech Wiki sections for the info your after as well

Blocks: moves diff from the leafs to lower the ute down
Reset: Flattens leafs to drop body towards diff (shorter shock might be needed)
Flipped: Flattens leafs to drop body towards diff (shorter shock might be needed)

Posted on: 2014/4/4 11:11

Home away from home
From Sydney NSW
Group:
Registered Users
You do not need mega hp! It really depends on the car you have and how you drive as to what you need.
The most important thing is using a set up to complement your style of driving and experience.
Have you ever drifted before? if not I suggest taking your car to a skid pan day, for some fun and practice.
Next step. Lock your diff. LSD is preferable, welding is acceptable but prepare to break axels.
Suspension. There are many Mods you can do, the tech wiki on this site is full of them. I suggest lowering blocks at rear, and stanza struts and LCAs at front. to give you more camber, but you will need to lower the front too.. so either king springs or go the whole hog, and get them moded for coil overs.

Lastly.. can the A12 make your car side ways.. short answer yes, and it will help build up your skill as Leighton Fine used to run his 4ac Sprinter(back when he started) before he finally started modding it. but you will need a longer run up due to the lower power output. Lighten the car as much as you can.. ie get rid of the sound deadner etc.
In the end though, you will find it cheaper an easier to buy an S13 silvia for drifting and modding, as you will tire of the older suspension, handling and power the Datsun will output without thousands of dollars invested.

Posted on: 2014/4/4 12:05

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]