Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Ca18 wiring...???
Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
This weekend I tried to get my CA running and ran into several problems, some stupid and some a little more difficult. I'll admit I lost patience fairly quickly so I haven't carried out much analysis. Anyway the simptons are : Engine is turning over, fuel is getting to the rail, there is no spark, and appears that no fuel is getting into the cylinders either. I'm using a standard computer and loom which is a little rough but should all be there. The computer red and green lights are on. I'm also using the barrel out of the silvia so I know it's not that problem some people have had trying to use the original datto barrel which doesn't allow for the fuel pump. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Posted on: 2003/9/14 11:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Ca18 wiring...???
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Warwick, QLD
Group:
Registered Users
Run diagnostics on your ECU, download the S13 user manual off somethign like Kazaa, thats where i got mine from, it has a MASSIVE section on troubleshooting, very helpful
Cheers
Damo

Posted on: 2003/9/14 11:41

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Does the fuel system pressurise and turn off after 5 seconds, if you click switch to ignition, but not to start?

Sometimes a flat battery will make the computer to refuse to operate the injectors.

Check that all of your relays work, sometimes salt water or cleaning stuff gets into them, and they get seized up.

Make sure the computer is getting 12V during crank...The lights on the ECU should remain lit up during cranking.

Chris

Chris.

Posted on: 2003/9/14 13:01

From SE Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Have you got the wiring diagrams and ECU pin outs?

As soon as I work out how to do it, I could post them if you need it.

Posted on: 2003/9/18 10:53

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Mildman. No sweat I've got my trusty translated FAX's from Japan from about 1992.

They are online at http://www.shoeys.com/diag/

My domain is being transferred at the moment for an upgrade, so it might be down for the next day or so.

Chris.

Posted on: 2003/9/18 14:34

From SE Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
No problemo

Hey nice site too.

Always good to add more to that Favourites folder.

Regards,

Posted on: 2003/9/21 12:11

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Hey guys, have made a small amount of progress. (Due to the use of the pin-outs and also the workshop manual on Datnet.org.) We have now established 12v across the coil ignitor when ignition is on, didn't get a chance to check if it was sparking because I had to run out to work but if it's not sparking now I think I can asssume it's a faulty coil ignitor or even coil pack on cylinder. Does that sound correct to anyone?

Posted on: 2003/9/21 14:00

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know how you wired yours up. You have a one in 1000 chance of it being faulty hardware. It's sooo much more likely it's a wiring error. This isn't a dig at you, I've seen factory wiring diags that are wrong.

Be sure to tape/record the noises of the engines coming to life.
In my family, I always call up my brother before starting up an engine for the first time. He does the same. The call normally starts with the noise of a starting engine..I think "what the hell!", then my brother will come on the line and tell me what engine it is I'm listening to. It's always good fun.

Unless you toasted the ignitor pack/s with wiring mistakes...it won't be that, although from the factory, being attached to the engine is a method of factory planned obselescence. Transisitor's biggest enemy is heat. Best to move them into the car's cabin.

Chris

Posted on: 2003/9/21 14:44

Home away from home
From Wellington New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, as Dattodue says, when you switch on , the fuelpump should run for 5 secs.
If this is happening, disconnect the pump, and spin the crank angle sensor by hand. you should hear a rattle outa the injectors. (dont worry, you cant put the crangle sensor back in the wrong position)
If this is cool , it means you're 90% of the way there.
The only thing left is to get the coil wiring sorted. Get a timing light in there, you'll see it fire when you spin the crangle sensor. If it's got the coils over the plugs, you'll have to pull one out and extend it with a spare HT lead.
Dont just let it spark to the block, this'll kill igniters quicker than you can say bosch!!)
I belive that some CA's are sequential spark, some are wasted spark (fire 1,4 and 2,3 at the same time). the igniter you use and the wiring will be a little different depending.

T

Posted on: 2003/9/21 23:39

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
what you say Tsillay is not encouraging because my engine, loom and coil ignitor all came from different cars! So that would mean that the bits I have would only work if they all happened to be of the same spark sequence originally? you don't know how I can find out what my engine and ignitor are configured for do you?

Posted on: 2003/9/22 3:35

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.