Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Oil in the second cylinder
Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Hello again!

After a long high revving drive back from Sydney recently I pulled in Canberra and the ute wasn't running quite right. It was stalling at traffic lights and could keep a good steady idle.

After digging around a little bit I noticed the dizzy had worked it's way loose and though my timing out big time. I don't know how long it was like this but it seams I may have done some damage to my poor engine.

After redoing the timing back to factory I still couldn't get a strong steady idle.

I decided to pull the plugs and when I got to the second one I found a good coating of oil and other assorted baddies. The others seamed fine to me.

About 2000kms ago I gave it a full service including new leads, dizzy cap, rotor etc etc.

So coming back to the oil over the plug this is obviously a bad thing. Does this mean the rings are on their way out? I don't have access to a compression tester to be sure.

What should I do?

If the rings are gone I'm considering a rebuild, or even finding a good used a15 to go in instead. Depending on total costs of course. I'm in Canberra if that helps too.

Posted on: 2007/9/8 10:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Oil in the second cylinder
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Perth WA
Group:
Registered Users
You may have fouled the plug somehow. Possibly valve stem seals or as you said rings. But usualy that oil burn off (blue smoke). Try a new set of plugs and run it up and see how that goes.

Posted on: 2007/9/8 11:22

Guest_
also try your original lead, new one might be faulty so not firing and fouling plug

Posted on: 2007/9/8 15:27

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Well, you can *try* various things, or you can *test* them. I would be doing a compression test. If the rings are broken in No. 2, a compression test will tell you -- no guessing.

Posted on: 2007/9/8 18:08

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the suggestions guys, much appreciated.

Is the a way to visually inspect the stem seals?

and thanks DD I'll try and find someone with a compression tester to get a definite answer about the rings.

Posted on: 2007/9/9 0:17

Quite a regular
From canberra Australa
Group:
Registered Users
i know where there is a a14 stoker if ya wont it. stil is the ute still running are you still coming to the run on friday

Posted on: 2007/9/9 0:51

From Perth WA
Group:
Registered Users
I would have said test but he said he didnt have access to a comp tester etc.

The plug sounds like it looks fouled, not really any other way to check for a good spark. Plugs are dirt cheap anyway. Leads? Well if they are new i doubt they are broken, ive fitted 100s of HT lead sets and never incountered a faulty lead from new.

Comp test, do a dry test first. Hold your foot flat to the floor on the acc with all plugs out. test each cylinder. They shouldnt change more then 20%. if they do, you have a problem. Crank the engine for about 5 'whines' each cylinder but keep it the same amount.
Then if you have a cylinder low on comp, squirt a little oil into the plug hole and re-comp test. this seals the rings. so if its still low its a head problem, if it raises its a ring problem.

Posted on: 2007/9/9 1:56

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
hehe, it's all good thanks beattie.

I went and splurged on a compression tester this morning and I'm just about to go out and give it a test to see if it's the top or bottom end. I'll keep you all informed with what I find.

Also, I've noticed when the car is idling I can hear a distinct "fluttering" in the exhaust note. Something that I haven't noticed in the past.

Cheers for the info too Dom, I'll keep it in mind. The car is still running although it is an absolute bastard to start at the moment, but still runs. I'll be doing my absolute best to keep it running for the meet.

Hopefully this test will give me clearer indication on what I'm looking for.

BTW - Thanks Tyrie, I got your msg.

Stay tuned!

Posted on: 2007/9/9 2:33

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Ok, well the compression tester was one of the best tools I've ever bought.

I've only dry tested each cylinder so far, and I tested each cylinder 3 times to make sure I was doing it right.

All cylinders came out at 115psi avg.

Is it worth me wet testing each cylinder now?

Posted on: 2007/9/9 3:18

From Perth WA
Group:
Registered Users
as long as their within about 20% of eachother you should be fine. a wet test shouldnt prove anything further.

Sounds like its only running on 3 cylinders. Get it running again and idling. Then remove 1 lead at a time then put it back on. when you reach the one that makes no difference in idle behaviour youve found the cyl with the prob.

Have you tried new plugs? Or even cleaning the old ones? Are all the leads 'clicked' in properly on each end?

Posted on: 2007/9/9 4:08

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]