Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Rear Swaybar
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
I'm looking at getting a new adjustable rear bar made for the SSS however the one that is on at the moment has a question mark over it given that it has screw in extensions on each end that are drilled with adjustment holes which works great, but I suspect that these plates have made the 'arms' of the bar ( that is the ones that are parallel to the length of the car that the links bolt to ) overall too long thus reducing the effect of the bar itself.
Before I charge ahead and get a new one made would it be possible for someone running a rear bar ( preferably something like an Addco one ) to measure the length of those 'arms' ?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Dave

Posted on: 2016/7/17 21:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Rear Swaybar
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Dave I will take some measurements and let you know.

Tom

Posted on: 2016/7/19 5:00

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Dave as promised;

Addco 5/8ths inch rear bar from the center on the eyelet bolt on sway bar arm end to center of the bar after the 90 degree bend is 7.75 inches give or take a 1/16th.

Posted on: 2016/7/20 7:09

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Tom,
Interesting- mine is considerably longer with the screw in fitting- at least another 6".
Anyway after visiting the spring makers yesterday given that the existing bar is 14mm I have decided to go up to a 16mm which according to the Whiteline book is a 71% increase.I still have half a mind to go to 17mm given that extra length that is all adjustable but with the cars overall handling being pretty good and the fact that I have already slightly beefed up the rear spring pack hopefully this will do the trick as I am really not looking for huge change.
Cheers
Dave

Posted on: 2016/7/20 9:20

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
What I have on the car is basically 22mm front and 16mm rear.

The adjustability on the front is via moving the rod end to a different position on the control arm. Moving the location inboard or outboard on the control arm to changes the force applied to bar.

On the rear I currently have no adjustability on the rear bar. On the rear occasion it rains I go soft on the front and disconnect the rear.

I think the fronts are 225 springs but I put them in nearly 25yrs ago and didn't write it down . I have a set of 250s and 200s and the ones on the car were supposed to be soemwhere in between. I prefer softer springs and bigger bars, mainly because I pound over the kerbs in the finest touring car driver style. I also prefer a car biased toward oversteer, especially one with such a low power output.

One modification I still want to do is installing a brake balance bar in the car; along with the oversteer I also liked a car with a good bit of rear brake in it because as you know I rotate the car on the brakes. I think this may also be a byproduct of road racing motorcycles first.

I totally relate to what you're trying to do, fine tuning really does get you the ability to gain lit bits of time on every corner.

Tom

PS my repaired counter gear showed up from Bettany today and it really looks to be a nice job.

Posted on: 2016/7/21 5:47

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Tom,
Bettany counter gear- excellent news!
Thanks for the input on the sway bars. I too do prefer a slight bias towards oversteer but I do think that I need to take little steps given that I am overall pretty happy with the setup.
One thing that came to light today that I had never heard of was 'preloading' the sway bars- have you ( or anyone reading in copy ) heard of this and practice it?
Cheers
Dave

Posted on: 2016/7/21 8:54

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Dave I seem to recall people doing this as a sort of weight jacking but can't recall exactly. I'll need to look through my Carroll Smith books and see if there is anything in them.

Tom

Posted on: 2016/7/22 3:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.