Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

pure bred datto!
Quite a regular
From Flinder View Qld
Group:
Registered Users
I was wondering how many pure bred datsun owners there are on this site. By pure bred i mean original datsun specs no mods? I know there surly must be a few out there who have the original datsun spirit.

Not that i am opposeed to mods but as there are a few minor charms of my ute that i wouldn't mind if it came with a better more (comfortable) option.

Posted on: 2003/10/17 0:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: pure bred datto!
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
mine was pure breed for about 2months pretty much 99.9% purreeeeee

Posted on: 2003/10/17 1:20

From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Like it or not, our beloved little Datsuns were built to a price, & many things were done because [A] It would do the job [just] & because [B] It was CHEAP

Now the object of restoration is to re-engineer ALL THE MISTAKES back in. An example of this would be to refit the original 5.50 x 12" cross ply tyres to B10 models. No one in his right mind would do that on a street driver. The absolute MINIMUM upgrade would be to use the correct sized replacement radials. A much better option is to use much more recent technology & fit, 5" or 5-1/2" x 13" rims & 185 x 60 x 13" tyres. This lifts the level of safety, performance & appearance to a level that makes it almost standard equipment in a street driver. This size replicates the original tyre diameter & is therefore completely compatible with even a stock B10.
There were also improvements on "sport" models that can be retrofitted to more mundane models. Got a 1200 sedan? Find a wrecked coupe & transfer the whole strut assembly, the master cylinder, & most importantly, the REAR WHEEL CYLINDERS. Ta Daaa. Factory disc brakes.

All stock parts, but non factory combination. Close enough to be "pure Datsun" for me.
It's amazing just how much can be upgraded with stock Datsun parts from other models that doesn't involve the modification of any parts. Just use your head, a workshop manual, & a parts book.

Hell, my 1200GX with 5 speed in a B10 is so factory looking, i swear that it could have been original.

Chris

Posted on: 2003/10/17 2:30

Quite a regular
From Flinder View Qld
Group:
Registered Users
Your right dodgeman,
some of the charms of the datto were a little rough around the edges. Doing mods ie. using other datto parts to tweek her up a litle is good, but a lot of the datsuns you see around and hear about have had some crazy stuff done to them cutting out fire walls and cutting up boots and trays to fit bigger suspension and wheels, engines, gear box's. Some of these people i wonder if they appreciate that a car built buy the Japanese all those years ago was built to be a throw away item. It's amazing how resiliant the little dattos really are.

Posted on: 2003/10/17 3:27

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Yep, I agree with Dodgeman too....using parts off other datsuns can improve your datto, but still keep it "pure datsun".

Don't think I'll ever be pure datsun myself. My 1600 was about the furthest thing from pure datsun as you can get. It still had Datsun badges, but thats about it....

Posted on: 2003/10/17 12:02

Home away from home
From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
I dont mind whats used in dattos that much, as long as theyre not getting completely hacked up beyond recognition, like that guy who wants to put a 13b turbo and tub the 1000 ute. Datto's (1000's, 1200's and 1600's) are getting to rare to just blatantly chop up like that, especially 1000's.

Posted on: 2003/10/17 14:04

Home away from home
From Hobart Tasmania AUS
Group:
Registered Users
i second that!!!

Posted on: 2003/10/19 7:43
1968 1000 4 Door Sedan (parts car)
1964 Toyota Coaster Bus

Home away from home
From Auckland N.Z
Group:
Registered Users
you would have already read my opinion on the matter, but each to their own. I will soon be the proud owner of and untouched 1200 2door sedan.
it will remain pure.

Posted on: 2003/10/19 11:07

From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
my 2 door sedan is untouched, id like to chop it up for flares and ca18 and stuff but dont have the heart to do it (for reasons mentioned aboe), and i dont really want a stocka i believe cars should be brought into the nineties at least, i love newer technology and the idea of putting it into an old car tickles me

someone should rescue it but it needs a lotta work and i want to get some money back out of it, ive had a few people interested but nobody ever waves cash in my face???

Posted on: 2003/10/19 12:19
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.