Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Who needs a Mechanic?
Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Ok so im in a bit of a crap situation, most of my friends who know anything about cars are interstate as are my tools.Ive been living light while at uni for the past three years.
Also add that to being in the category of those who were not blessed with a mechanical environment to grow up in nor have the knowledge to do most of the work I would like to be able to do on my 1200 (yet).

Lurking here helps, but when it still comes to doing physical work on a car...im still not in a good position atm.

In short...I need a good mechanic- prefferably one that doesnt take me for an idiot, Most of my knowledge about cars is from having something #### up on them...but all too often the mechanic wont explain to me whats going on so I end up none the wiser and out of pocket...Its really beginning to piss me off. Because Im NOT one of those people that would drop it off at a mecahnic and say "make it go...I dont care whats wrong with it"

Its an interesting problem innit? some might say I dont deserve to drive am old car If I dont know how to keep it on the road...sometimes I feel that way myself...I know I have the technical skills to do it( I have years of experience in non-automotive metalwork and steel construction, design ect), just not the knowledge or circumstances to at the moment.

I have never had more fun driving a car as this one. I dont take it for granted...I worked my ass of to buy this hoping to learn more about these things in general. Im dependant on a mechanic...but ultimatley dont want to be.

Ummm yeh where I was going with this was does anyone know any in Melbourne that might understand how I feel...that might know about or even enjoy working on Datsuns?...jesus thats seriously all I wanted to ask, sorry about the essay...I guess thats what uni does to ya, -still thought it would be good to get it off my chest as reading a lot of what most of you guys know can be a humbling experience

Peas

Posted on: 2007/7/11 4:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Who needs a Mechanic?
Home away from home
From southern sydney "the shire"
Group:
Registered Users
well whats wrong with your car?

Posted on: 2007/7/11 5:51

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From perth airport
Group:
Registered Users
one of my mates grew up in a house hold that didnt teach there kids how to fix cars ( its crimanal lol) and he did a tafe corse on mercanicks i should do one on spellin :)

but not much can go wrong wit a datto the only problem i have is it keeps runnin out of fule must fix that one day :) lol

Posted on: 2007/7/11 6:21

Quite a regular
From Western Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dats-me wrote:
well whats wrong with your car?

the short version please

Posted on: 2007/7/11 7:02

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
lol yeh Ill post about 4 seperate threads later then?

Nah its more in general...trying to guage who here knows where im coming from.I dont believe in paying for services that leave you no more wiser.Ive always believed in DIY and taught myself a lot of skills in the past...but in the meantime I still have to keep the thing on the road.

These are old cars...theyre all going to have something wrong with them at some stage unless youve built it from scratch...just general ironing out atm, and trying to find good help in the process.

Quote:

by perthute on 2007/7/11 16:21:17

one of my mates grew up in a house hold that didnt teach there kids how to fix cars ( its crimanal lol) and he did a tafe corse on mercanicks i should do one on spellin :)

but not much can go wrong wit a datto the only problem i have is it keeps runnin out of fule must fix that one day :) lol

hah yeh the irony is that my old man was a fighter pilot...could tell me all about how an FA-18 works...but didnt really let on about the simpler things in life.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 7:33

Home away from home
From SYDNEY,NSW
Group:
Registered Users
tafe course or local college is a good idea to help you, and the only other way is to give stuff a go, you learn on the job...just dont take on tasks that are too way out of your skill level.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 7:39

From Melbourne AUS
Group:
Registered Users
i agree the only way to learn is to give stuff a go!

you may not be confindent or have the knowledge to fix certain things,

but i personally (without claiming to be an expert) would be more than willing to get my hands dirty to help you work on your ute,
especially if it means keeping it on the road while at the same time helping you the gain the knowlegde you need to maintain it.

i would expect there to be more members that are also as willing

no need to go paying a mechanic i say

become your own mechanic, its more enjoyable and with a datto its definately do-able!

glad to hear your enjoying the 1200

Posted on: 2007/7/11 8:07

Guest_
being in uni did you cut and copy paste that from google (half my uni class did while i busted my balls too)

ive know how you feel, if i had time to help with my limited skills and 2 left thumbs i would but strugle on my own too. never touched a car or did anything until i turned 20. learnt from there and its been a steap learning curve.

I take my time with my limited tools and do the basics now. Also if i bugger it up ot my cheap dodgey mechanic that lives round the corner to help bail me out. he will talk to you and explain stuff if hes not busy (one man show).

If you half competent he will let you do it in his workshop with his tools and stuff (he does for me).

Like i said before at the last cruise, if you need something, most folk our side of town are pretty good.

If you can find a nice sedan or wagon for ange, he might even help put arotor in fr you

Posted on: 2007/7/11 12:04

From perth airport
Group:
Registered Users
and get a work shop manaul and do things step buy step

Posted on: 2007/7/11 23:16

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Yeh all good advice fellas...cheers, Ill get there one day.
Its not easy to admit ignorance...especially when it comes to cars for some reason.
Quote:
but i personally (without claiming to be an expert) would be more than willing to get my hands dirty to help you work on your ute,

As you have done already Ange...much respect and gratitude...but I feel theres a fine line between that and not wanting to become a burden on anyone when I havent got much to offer in return...but yeh ill keep a look out for sedan or wagon for ya (or is it for jody?) too ;)

Posted on: 2007/7/12 1:49

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.