Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Paint Color Advice
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Sri Lanka
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Guys

I am preparing my b210 for final paint job,i am planning a blue color for it , is metallic or pearl color advised ? which one is better to prepare paint and maintain ? what are the advantages and disadvantages as you guys experience ?

thanks
regards
sumith

Posted on: 2013/2/7 5:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Paint Color Advice
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Easy to paint: Regular is easier than Metallic

Easy to maintain: Do not use lacquer paint. Use either Acrylic Enamel (as per original Datsun paint) -- or -- the newer 2-part (2-pak) paints with a clearcoat finish.

Safer to paint: Acrylic Enamel won't kill you, as can spraying epoxy paint without a full-respirator mask. A mask is always recommended.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 5:51

From Goulburn NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Sumith,check out (airbrushmegastore.com) thats where im getting my paint from.They have all your types of paints and they are fairly cheap,auto air colours is the one to look at.This is the blue im looking at,its a pearl.

Attach file:

jpg  pearl teal.jpg (62.00 KB)
14333_511360fbb9a30.jpg 445X445 px

Posted on: 2013/2/7 7:41

Edited by mcdat on 2013/2/7 8:08:34

From Sri Lanka
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Guys

Thanks mcdat, i will check it ,another advice on i am just thinking to paint my radiator fuel tank,plastic panels, front grill with black color, do i need to get metallic for them or just normal black color is enough ?

thanks
regards
sumith

Posted on: 2013/2/9 5:50

Just can't stay away
From Las Vegas, NV USA
Group:
Registered Users
If you have little to no experience painting I would recommend a solid non-metallic color as it will be easier to get even coverage and you won't have to worry as much about unevenness in the way the material lays out. I did my first paint job with single-stage urethane and did it outdoors. The paint laid out great and looked really good in a solid color. You can do metallic, but you should take some tips from a painter and have some handling experience with the paint gun first. Also, with metallics remember that you should do a two-coat where you have the base color coat and cover it with a clear coat. Some clears are easier to use than others, I used AxoNobel's Wanda Clear. I'm no painter but frankly it laid out great and flowed out to the point I decided not to cut and buff it out on my 1200. Availability will dictate.

Of course for all I know you're a pro already

Just have fun and take your time no matter which way you go.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 6:17

Just can't stay away
From sydney,NSW
Group:
Registered Users
hey sumith,

i am a spray painter by trade... if your first question about maintaining your paint job is meaning in an accident or in years to come, then acrylic is a quick and easy job to do repairs and touch ups (small areas) but also easy to paint full panels and most people can do it at home.
note: Acrylic will fade in time say once every 3-5 years and will need buffing.

But if your looking into the metallic or pearl situation i would recommend useing the 2-part (2-pack) system. The clear gives the paint a longer life time (10 -15 year) if done correctly.

choosing either matellic or pearl comes down to you and money, pearls do cost a bit more but the different veriations are almost endless (eg. blue car with purple pearl, or blue and white pearl, etc,etc) were metallic is more the base colour in your case blue and with small metal flaks which brightns the colour up about and give it a sparkly look in the sun.

as for your second question, just plain black is fine! just make sure on your plastic items you sand and clean and use a plastic adhesion promotor before spraying the colour otherwise in time it will flake off and show the under colour, for the metal items just prepair them like it was a panel on the car or if new metal items you can also buy painted adhesion promotor, but read instructions before using them.!

Posted on: 2013/2/10 7:48

From Goulburn NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Dat-lover whats your opinion on water based paints?

Posted on: 2013/2/10 7:54

Just can't stay away
From sydney,NSW
Group:
Registered Users
water base paint is a good system for the environment but that's about all, basically just like using a 2pack system, spray the base colour then clear..!!!

i personally haven't used it on a full resto but they do come up pretty good, but i don't think they have successfully made a water base clear for it yet. so the colour would be painted in water based and then 2 packed cleared over...! but i haven't been in-touch with water base paint system for a while i could be wrong and they might have made a clear..!

Posted on: 2013/2/10 10:47

From Sri Lanka
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Guys

OK , Thanks for great ideas guys, do i need to paint these parts or just to polish them, can i do a proper clean up , with what and how ? ideas please

thanks
regards
sumith

Attach file:

jpg  Dash pannel.jpg (112.60 KB)
10994_5118ba63dd781.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/2/11 9:31

From Sri Lanka
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Guys

Usually Paint and Oil Primer to Thinner Ratio is 1:1, is it the same with Filler ?
I have lost my color card with all those specs just wanted to verify it it 1:1 Ratio Between Filler and Thinner
I am Using Causeway Paints here

thanks
regards
sumith

Posted on: 2013/2/15 7:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.