Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Rover V8
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Wagga Wagga
Group:
Registered Users
v8 r a bit old now, but v6 r good!

and who said thay were going to cop it because of toyota, i'm working on one right now, toyota thumbs up

Posted on: 2007/3/2 20:10

1980 Datsun 1200 Ute (WIP)
A15 Engine
5 Speed Sunny
H165 Diff
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Just can't stay away
From brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
all i know about rover v8's,is what i have learned
working on them.
you have to admit they put them in some terrible cars.
i have worked on my fair share of land rovers and they were unreliable,expensive to repair,gutless and had terrible oil leaks,even with new seals they would continue to leak.none of these points made them a good 4x4.
but it did keep a lot of mechanics in business.
and buick continued keeping us in business by producing the v6 3.8(commodore)engine.
so i wouldn't hang onto the rover idea because it has links with buick or america.
they are also getting old and less common
which doesn't help things either.
i'm not against the toyota v8 idea.
they are great,popular engines that will remain popular for many years.
and if you ever wanted to sell your car you would have to get more for it as a toyota v8 rather than a rover.

i am not sure what my car originaly had in it in regards to the tunnel.
my heads are about 20 mm away from the firewall.

Posted on: 2007/3/2 20:32

Guest_
the 1uz is a great modern v8 engine, however is 4.0 lt of power and way over any sane engenieerable level of power for a 1200.
The nissan v8 was also not bad but still based of the buick motor as well, and 4.1 ltr of fury from memory.
The problem is they are huge in size for a 1200 engine bay.

the rover v8 is more compact and may be able to be engenieerd for a 1200 easier.

at least v8 has more cred than v6 for a 1200 (nothing against your ute pigdog).

Posted on: 2007/3/2 21:24

Home away from home
From Newcastle (NSW)
Group:
Registered Users
Well, my mistake then. I must be thinking of a completely different engine. It makes an interesting read though!

I did a quick search on the net and found there's quite a few of these engines is aeroplanes!!

Posted on: 2007/3/4 18:12

Just can't stay away
From UK
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
i have worked on my fair share of land rovers and they were unreliable,expensive to repair,gutless and had terrible oil leaks,even with new seals they would continue to leak.none of these points made them a good 4x4.

That wasnt a leak as such. That was the chassis anti-corrosion system that we need in the UK

Posted on: 2007/3/4 18:40

Just can't stay away
From brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
did you know that landrover dealers in australia actually try to feed that line to their customers.
if i had spent a lot of money on one of their cars and it continually leaked oil and the service manager told me that,i'd have to start swinging.
i get customers in at work all the time complaining about it.

Posted on: 2007/3/5 1:49

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all, I found this post and site whilst searching for info for my own rover v8 which is still fitted to the original p6b it was shipped here in. The rover v8 with su's is a pig and as they say if a rover v8 isn't leaking oil, there's none in it. But neither problem is incurable. They mostly leak oil into the rocker valley but also from the sump. But a well assembled engine with new gaskets and quality gasket sealer, that loctite blue gear works best, (sorry don't recall the code but i'm sure you know which) and your on your way to a decent little v8.

If you need a decent anchor for your tinny the standard manifold and SU's a damn good place to start. If you must stay carburetted, which is a marginally cheaper option, replace the induction gear with an offenhauser manifold, Like this one! , and an appropriately sized holley depending on internal modifications and exhuast system used, and you'll cure a good majority of the breathing problems. If your budget is limited hunt around for a p6b 3500s, the exhuast headers used on them were of much better design with flow being significantly improved.

Deep six the standard 4sp manual or the auto for a Supra 5sp and you've got yourself a very nice package to drive.

However.

If your budget allows there are many more options available.

Grab yourself the injection manifold from a 3.9V8 from the disco or range rover. Add a wolf ems, a CDi ignition MSD or similar, and decent distributor and you've got a very reliable reasonably powerful little donk. 350HP wouldn't be especially radical.

Now if you wanted to go a little further, decompress the bastard and add an S102 Sprintex or similar, a decent blower cam and a some nice port and valve work and you'll liven just about anything up.

Wrap it all up in a datto of any sort and you've got yourself a little weapon. A 260z would benefit from the same config.

Don't rev them above 5000rpm too often, unless you like oil leaks on your drive way and electrical problems. (rod through alternator)

The lexus V8 is another awesome engine, but they are big and heavy. Aside from major modifications to the engine bay the added weight over the front end of a 1200's front end would probably cause some serious handling issues.

I've never done anything to a datto than flog the #### out of one that was nearing the end of its natural life. We've had a couple in our time and could never kill it. Had 2 1600's a 1200 sedan and Wagon and flogged the backside out of a mates 120y. I was constantly amazed how much it would take to blow a head gasket, and we tried. Used to live at Hawthorne and would drive them down to the mudflats at lytton, near the bike clud, and go nuts and give it all we could. I'll never forget getting about 8 feet of air over the top of a bike jump (before the club was where it is today) landing on the front cross member and continuing for the rest of the evening then driving home. I think the last one was purchased for $200 and was the best money i've ever spent.

Posted on: 2007/5/26 15:12

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.