Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

head and water pump?
Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
hey,

i have a few questions, hopefully someone can help. when i did my head gasket (well when my girlfriend did it) a pea size hole started spitting out coolant, from the front, this is the water pump?

Open in new window

How can i fix it?, can the water-pump casing from a A12 fit my A10?

Do places like burson's and repco still stock gaskets for A10?

Are these the only two things i need to fix it? Does anyone have any parts to help?

Really need to start as i get my license back in less than a month. And as you can probably hear, I'm not the best mechanic so it might just take me the whole bloody month.

any help/advise, parts is really appreciated!!

cheers stu

Posted on: 2008/9/9 7:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: head and water pump?
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Coondle, WA Australia
Group:
Registered Users
it is probally not the water pump, but this is bolted directly in front, which may be where the confusion is. I had the exact same problem with my a12.

That particular location is common for corrosion on the TIMING COVER. The coolant from the pump passes thru the timing cover and into the block.

When you look carefully at that location you will see where the water pump stops, the timing cover starts, and where the block starts.

If you have corroded a hole thru the timing cover, then it is a reasonably biggish job. Nothing that the home mechanic cant do without a set of spanners and a good manual.

The real problem is getting a timing cover. My local parts dude seems to think that they dont exist any more.

and yes the a10 water pump should fit the a12.

if you can track down a new water pump they come with gaskets, other wise buy some gasket paper, and make your own. You can also cheat and buy some gasket goo and use that instead.

Unfortunatly, the likly culprits of your dilema are wearing parts, so usable second hand ones are hard to come by

Posted on: 2008/9/9 10:43
(http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php...

Home away from home
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
It may be coming from the 'blow' hole on the water pump. Most water pumps have them, they leak coolant when the pump is starting to fail this lets you know to replace the water pump befor she seizes on you and you do more damage.
If thats were the water is coming from you need to replace your water pump.
Easy job to do.

Posted on: 2008/9/9 10:52

From Armidale N.S.W
Group:
Registered Users
Looks to me like your pointing straight at the water Pump. You should know if its coming out the water pump. Never new water passed through the timing cover. Will have a closer look i have an A12 with most parts pulled off to re do gaskets.

Posted on: 2008/9/9 11:00

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Yes could be either the telltale hole on the water pump or timing cover corrosion, or leaking gasket/s.

This is bad timing cover corrosion on one of my A12s.

Open in new window

Posted on: 2008/9/9 11:06

IPRA Build

From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
ALL A series timing cases are interchangeable, but they are not all the same.
The A10 & 1200 engines used a timing cover with a single timing indicator in the timing case & several timing marks on the pulley. From 1974 [I believe] the situation was reversed & the timing case was cast with the various timing marks cast into the case & a single mark in the pulley.

If you want to do a totally original resto on an A10 engine, then you will need to find a serviceable second hand A10 or 1200 timing case, but if you just want to restore it to service, then finding any good used 1974 & later timing case & matching pulley should not be a problem.

To fit it is a bit of a pain & is actually best done with the engine out of the car since it will be necessary to drop the oil pan to allow the timing case to come off & this pretty much destroys the sump gasket.

You will need a sump gasket for an A10 & 1200 engine [not the later 1974 & on A12 etc.] a timing case gasket, a water pump gasket, & a timing case seal. This assumes that you have an A10 or 1200 engine.

These earlier engines had a chain guide inside the timing case & it might be an idea to ensure that the one that you are going to use [if present] is serviceable. Also check the timing chain for wear as now would be the time to fit any replacement parts that might be needed.

Your local Nissan dealers parts counter should be able to supply the parts you need & if they are dead lazy & pretend that they no longer have the parts books, then come back here & we will supply you with relevant part numbers.
Also try the usual auto parts houses, they still list a lot of this stuff.

If it's just your water pump that's faulty, then try just about any auto parts house you can find. If they don't have one in stock, they should be able to get one in overnight. The standard pump is the same for all A series engines I believe, but just be aware that there are also some variations such as aircon model water pumps. As long as the pump is listed against your engine, you're in.
The Nissan dealer should be able to do the same.

Posted on: 2008/9/9 11:08

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
AHH, you guys are too bloody good. you should start charging! ha.

soo my next question is......does anyone have or know someone that has one? i'll put something up in the classifieds as well.

thanks again

Posted on: 2008/9/10 5:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.