Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Over cooling part2, A-Series?
Home away from home
From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
Registered Users
What should an A-series run at? I just installed a mechanical water temp gauge and it seems my A-14 doesn't really run up much past 150 deg F... That seems too cool to me. It's got a standard radiator, water pump, 160 deg thermostat, & no heater.. Maybe the thermostat is stuck open, but it's only a few months old... Any thoughts anyone?

Posted on: 2009/5/28 10:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Over cooling part2, A-Series?
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
A-series normal temp is whatever the thermostat is. But your thermostat is bad. Thats pretty common.

Get 180 degree. Or if you must another 160. And test it in the kitchen pot with a kitchen thermometer.

Posted on: 2009/5/30 6:18

Home away from home
From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
Registered Users
There's no recommended temperature range? It's hot here in CA so I usually run a 160 stat because I'm afraid if it doesn't open til 180, will the standard radiator cool it in traffic on a hot day? How hot is too hot? I do think it is running too cool though... Even though my engine is not running rich, I still get a lot of soot from the tail pipe. It blows out onto the ground when I start the car. I jetted the carb with an Air/Fuel ratio meter & the plugs are a medium brown so I know it's not running rich or lean.I wonder if this is from it not getting warm enough?

Posted on: 2009/5/31 12:10

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
The recommended thermostat temperature is 180 degrees.

The standard radiator will keep a stock A12 from overheating. If the radiator is damaged (missing fins) or blocked then a cooler thermostat won't help -- it'll still overheat. And remember that running temp varies a bit on hot days. That's how it was designed. If it bothers you, fit a slightly larger radiator for rock-solid temps.

The hotter your thermostat, the more efficient the radiator. If that is your concern run a 212 degree thermostat and it'll be more stable temp. Especially in hot climates like California. But the A12 was not jetted for such a temperature.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 14:16

Home away from home
From Portland OR. USA
Group:
Registered Users
Testing a thermostat is a simple thing to do. All you need is a pan of water, the thermostat, and a kitchen thermometer. Put some water in the pan, enough to cover the thermostat and get a good reading on the thermometer. Turn on the heat and watch what happens. Note when the thermostat starts to open and when it is fully open. A normal 180° thermostat will start to open at 180° and be fully open by 190°.

It's a good idea to test new thermostats before installing them. Some brands are very good and measure correct while others...

Gary

Posted on: 2009/5/31 16:40

Home away from home
From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for all the info! I think I'll try a 180 degree and test it first...

Posted on: 2009/5/31 20:20

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
I have always run 160 degree thermostats in my Datsuns with no ill effects. I'm with you LowTech... in hot climates, your cooling system needs all the help it can get. My 1200 is fine most of the time, although with a stock b210 radiator (fairly new, no deterioration at all and bigger than a stock 1200 radiator) it does struggle to stay cool in traffic during heatwaves down here in Adelaide (taking up around 40 degrees C -> 104 degrees F for you guys). As it's my daily driver, it must be able to handle driving in traffic in these kinds of conditions as when it's hot I still need to get to work!

Posted on: 2009/6/1 2:20

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]