Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Datsun 1200 Caliper issues
Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Just got a quick issue for you guys with my front struts (well brake caliper housing).

Now when i brought the ute off a mate im not sure if the struts are original or have been changed to i.e stanza or 200b struts. So im unsure of the the rotors on the struts.

Now the main issue is that the caliper housing on the rotors sticks out HUGE - like a good 15mm over the axle bolts which means that my Weld wheels do not go all the way down the axle and rub on the housing. Now using a spacer is certainly out because the wheel will be way to far out the front guards.

The other options are:

1. - Grind the housing back the 15mm so its flush (Now i can't exactly do it with an angle grinder cause it will be messy work - which means i may have to purchase a Di grinder)
2. replace the Caliper/rotor setup (Now not knowing the struts and unable to find a serial on them i have no idea what will fit or work)
3. Replace the complete struts and rotor assembly and calipers with - DSK245S 200B Short strut HD KYB Adjustable platforms SnS rotors girlock calipers, 1200, sunny, pair $1995 (From Datsport)
But with this option needing to know how these struts go and if ill end up with the same issue as i currently have. I'd Prefer to upgrade the whole package but i just need some insight from other people with this setup to see if they have had any wheel issues before i got out and blow 2 grand.

This is really the only thing i have not replaced on the car - so an upgrade my be the option has anyone used the aboved struts

Here is a Pic of the rotor's and calipers atm - Can someone help?

Attach file:

jpg  530276_10150628144996148_651386147_9474071_971414886_n.jpg (30.71 KB)
16063_4f8502dc60267.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2012/4/11 5:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Datsun 1200 Caliper issues
Guest_
Can't see the caliper clearly but if your old wheels fit and these don't its the casting and offset of rim that's the issue.

Stanza or 200b will increase your track possibly up to 25mm each side. Same effect pushing rim and tyre past guards

Look like early single pistons but I can't tell on that pic.

What specs are the weld wheels ?

Posted on: 2012/4/11 6:08

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Look to be pbr, either 120y, earlie stanza! Need more measurements ect

Posted on: 2012/4/11 6:34

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Can't see the caliper clearly but if your old wheels fit and these don't its the casting and offset of rim that's the issue.

Stanza or 200b will increase your track possibly up to 25mm each side. Same effect pushing rim and tyre past guards

Look like early single pistons but I can't tell on that pic.

What specs are the weld wheels ?

The old wheels did not unfortunately fit unless with a spacers and with the spacer sat 20mm outside the guards

The Weld wheels are WE90-55036 (http://www.rocketindustries.com.au/pdf/catalogue/section_22.pdf)

WE90-55036 15x5 - 4x4 4.25/4.5 with 3.5 backspace - But thats probably the issue with negative offset not positive

So i guess the only real option is to change the wheels to a smaller width. Because of the offset being 3.5

That or just Shave down the housing for the caliper so it sits in nice.

They have to be the old style struts.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 7:10

Edited by loosekid on 2012/4/11 7:30:52
Edited by loosekid on 2012/4/11 7:31:36

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
I Know that "Lachie" is running Weld wheels might have to PM him or hopefully get him to look at this post to see what he is running

Posted on: 2012/4/11 7:19

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Look to be pbr, either 120y, earlie stanza! Need more measurements ect

I can get some measurements but what exactly would you like measured?

Posted on: 2012/4/11 7:24

Home away from home
From New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
the only calipers i have seen that stick out that far and give these issues are 120y

Posted on: 2012/4/11 8:16

From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Strut tube diameter! And caliper bolt centers on strut

Posted on: 2012/4/11 8:47

From Melbourne Australia (and likely under the car)
Group:
Registered Users
fwiw the honeycomb mag wheels I have for my 1200 coupe (which still has stock 1200 coupe front discs/calipers) won't clear due to the steel 'plate' (that slightly curved thick bit of steel) that the caliper sits inside.

They hit by a good 5-10mm. Another set of wheels I looked at (I actually bought the honeycomb ones from the same bloke) didn't clear either, and it was a much worse clearance overlap than with the honeycomb ones.

So it's entirely possible you've got stock brakes on there, and this is one of the issues. I'm going with the early s13 silvia (the ones with the ca18 motor, so they'll fit under 13 inch rims and have the original stud pattern)

I haven't got them on there right now. BUT I do have a couple of coupes here right now (one is a rolling shell) so if you need, I can attach the adapter brackets and s13 disc/caliper onto a rolling shell, and show how it fits (or doesn't fit, relatively speaking) I'd be able to do it this weekend and upload pics if you need. Let me know, as I won't worry about it if it is no help.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 10:30

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fwiw the honeycomb mag wheels I have for my 1200 coupe (which still has stock 1200 coupe front discs/calipers) won't clear due to the steel 'plate' (that slightly curved thick bit of steel) that the caliper sits inside.

They hit by a good 5-10mm. Another set of wheels I looked at (I actually bought the honeycomb ones from the same bloke) didn't clear either, and it was a much worse clearance overlap than with the honeycomb ones.

So it's entirely possible you've got stock brakes on there, and this is one of the issues. I'm going with the early s13 silvia (the ones with the ca18 motor, so they'll fit under 13 inch rims and have the original stud pattern)

I haven't got them on there right now. BUT I do have a couple of coupes here right now (one is a rolling shell) so if you need, I can attach the adapter brackets and s13 disc/caliper onto a rolling shell, and show how it fits (or doesn't fit, relatively speaking) I'd be able to do it this weekend and upload pics if you need. Let me know, as I won't worry about it if it is no help.

I would really like to see if the s13 disk/caliper fits/doesn't fit. Just to get a real idea if their is a fix for this. Because the wheels are worth alot and would seriously fit perfect under the gaurds if it was not for the caliper housing sticking over the studs.

Im willing to attempt anything to keep the wheels.

And as other's have suggested the Stanza or 200b struts will change the track which makes things worse. If their is a work around to just change the rotors/calipers id be extremely happy. That or i guess ill just hack at it with a grinder.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 10:43

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.