Re: Upgrading a '74 Datsun 120Y (B210)
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
900km! Good on ya. Wish there was that much road where I live

Quote:
The [right] indicator lamp inside lights up and stays on, relay doesn't even click, nothing outside the car. Also, this goes for hazard switch. Only left blinkers are blinking.
When testing a stuck lamp it is important to check for a burnt-out bulb: if only two out of three lights for a side light up, replace the non-working bulb

If all the light for the right side come on:
* Front right
* Rear right
* Dash right
If all light up, and stay lit, but do not flash, the most common cause is a bad flasher unit. But not in this case, since the left side flashes.

Another less common cause is a bad directional switch. Unscrew the column cover, and check to see if the switch loose on the shaft

Open in new window

This screw holds it tight to the steering shaft
Open in new window

Posted on: 2016/7/31 0:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Quote:
the wiper fluid jet nozzles seem to have packed themselves up with something as they do not squirt fluid on the windshield.

This is the nozzle unit on a 1200
Open in new window

Perhaps the hose has fallen off (common problem). Open the bonnet (hood) and see if it is still connected
Open in new window

If it is connected, loose then hose, then activate the washer to see if water squirts out

If water pumps through the hose, try cleaning the nozzles. Stick a pin (sewing pin) in the nozzle usually clears it

Posted on: 2016/7/31 0:32

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne Australia (and likely under the car)
Group:
Registered Users
If I'm reading it correctly, you are saying none of the outside turn signals work at all when you put the right indicator or hazards on? I'd check the globes first and foremost. When buying a car, it can sometimes be a really good move to replace all those globes and the fuses, just so you are starting with new ones (and it'll only cost about $20 or so altogether) and it's a known quantity. Headlights perhaps less so, but certainly the indicators/park lights and brake lights (number plate lights too, little things like that tend to make the police less likely to want to take a closer look at the car.

DDGonzal - I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I _think_ the guy with the cherry who was cutting a block open to show deck/bore wall thickness was in nearby Finland, not Norway, but it's a distant memory so I could be wrong!

Lars - that is ONE CLEAN LOOKING DATSUN - good find mate!

Posted on: 2016/7/31 4:15

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Where can we see a photo of the car?

Posted on: 2016/7/31 5:48

Not too shy to talk
From Norway
Group:
Registered Users
I'll take some photos today! :)

Nah, only the left outside blinkers work. All three, rear/side/front on the right side stopped working halfway through the trip.. :) I'm gonna check the bulbs. It can't be the blinker switch I suppose, when the right blinkers does not work with the hazard switch too.. Strange that all three of them doesn't work. Or do they all fail when one globe fails?

Posted on: 2016/7/31 8:13

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Yes, the older flasher units are current-based. So when one globe/bulb fails, there may not be enough current to trigger the flash circuit. That's actually a plus, as new types keep flashing when a bulb is out, and don't warn the driver like these old units do

Posted on: 2016/7/31 8:57

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne Australia (and likely under the car)
Group:
Registered Users
DDGONZAL - oh heck - now I've got MY threads/posters confused! Got this mixed up with someone who had just bought a 120y 2 door! NOw I can't even find the other thread to link to to at least show I didn't imagine the 2 door 120Y!

Posted on: 2016/7/31 9:01

Not too shy to talk
From Norway
Group:
Registered Users
I'll check out the blinkers later today. Anyone's got an idea on why the horn honks for half a second just at the moment the blinker switch returns to neutral after a left turn?

But. Guess the Datto didn't quite enjoy the long ride as much as I do. The A12 is now coughing and splutting wildly - like the carb is getting flooded. Here's the thing;

The car is idling just fine at startup. I go for a ride, giving it a soft touch to the accelerator, all is well. So, at the first long slope, I have to give it some more gas, and eventually, it starts hesitating. It coughs and juggles wildly at the first touch of the pedal after this, just like the carb is flooding. When I give it full throttle, it works. But it loses power, and up slopes, in third gear, I have to help it up with the manual choke (!), or else it's not going to make it. Surely this is a carburettor issue? Since it idles just fine but dies at the first touch of the gas? And revs away again at max throttle?

When I turn off the engine and let it cool, it returns to normal. But after some minutes of driving, it's back to hesitating and juggling. Is the old carb a goner? :)

(Not that this really matters since the A15 is going in, but for leisure driving up to the point of swapping the engine, I'd like to know the solution for this, if anyone got it. ;)

Posted on: 2016/7/31 11:44

Not too shy to talk
From Norway
Group:
Registered Users
Some pictures to begin with:

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window