Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

prep & paint
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
hey again all,
i got that datto sedan (the ute can wait) and well as i said before its been painted with house paint.
I have access to a warehouse a compressor, sander etc, i dont have much $$$$ so im gunna prep and paint myself.
just a few questions....
1*first of all does anyone know of any good do it yourself prep and paint websites????
2*should i take out one panel out at a time and sand and paint it that way??, because there may be times where i have to leave my datto for a period of weeks (uni, work, girlfriend) and if i sand it all without painting it wont rust set in???? there fore it would be sensible if i did sand then paint (prime) one part then go onto the next right????
3* would it be alright if say i sanded one part and primed it? then went on to the next?
4* any info on do it urself painting would be good? any suggestions???

Posted on: 2002/9/12 7:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: prep & paint
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
i am not a very experienced painter but i have done work on my car just getting rid of rust and have patches on my car which just have 1 coat of primer on them, have had for a couple of months or more now, and they show no signs of rust or anything

i would guess it would be best to paint everything at once, especially if you are mixing thinners in the paint and stuff its better if its all one batch of exactly the same mixture

Posted on: 2002/9/12 8:02
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

Home away from home
From Toowoomba, australia
Group:
Registered Users
i have just finished painting my 1200 coupe and it took maybe two weeks to complete. i found that sand then at least one coat of primer will see u through for a little while. but use all of the one batch of thinners/primer mix otherwise you end up with in consistancies in the priming. you want to get the priming right or can end up having to strip it down again.

now when painting, paint in one go. do the insides of your doors (take them off as well as the guards boot and bonnet)and do the parts you cannot see when the car is all closed up. then put everything back on the car and paint with one batch again otherwise you can end up with different shades of the colour.

there u go i hpe this gives u a bit of an idea

Posted on: 2002/9/12 8:19

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
thanx fellas,
does anyone still ahve any good net sites on painting????

Posted on: 2002/9/12 8:27

Home away from home
From Christchurch New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
i preped and painted my car in three weeks it probally wouldnt take you that long because i painted the inside of the car aswell as long as you dont do a bearmetal respray you shouldnt have any probs with rust hope this helps

P.S what colour have you decided or you still need to think that one out

Posted on: 2002/9/12 8:29

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
well, i do have to sand off the old house paint, so wuoldn't that make it a bare metal respry?? or does the car have a protective coating before the baremetal that i shouldn't sand past???? (im really new at this).
since the original colour is white and i am not paiting the inside im; thinking of painting it white again with a blue racing strip down the drivers side, sound good ? anyone got any good paint scheme suggestions??

Posted on: 2002/9/13 1:20

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Castro Valley,CA USA
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a novice at painting myself, but here goes...I've heard that, if its possible, it is sometimes better not to sand through to bare metal. Sand down to the original layer then paint over that. The original paint was prepped and paint pretty good and does a pretty good job of preventing rust. If you know what you're doing, then stripping down to bare metal is probably the way to go.
Paint shemes? Dont paint it like a BRE Datsun with a blue top! (that's how i want to paint my car )

Posted on: 2002/9/13 8:12

Home away from home
From LISBOA, PORTUGAL
Group:
Registered Users
Hey there

like angelo said, there is no need to remove the previous paint. Before painting over it you will need to take the bright of it (using water sand paper p400 or p600).

When i painted my car (one week ago) we cut all the rust of it, then we weld new steel sheets on the holes and grind the welds to be as smooth as possible.

After that, the car shape (on the welded zones) was restored using some glass fibre (where needed). You have to sand down (sand paper p60) the glass fibre to obtain the car shape.

Above the glass fibre you use "stone" (white) primer and sand it down to the car shape (water sand paper p60 - p200 - p400) and it must be perfect. After that you put the celulosic (red) primer and sand it down (water sand paper p200- p400). Then you apply the primary paint (white to grey) which you can apply on all the car (take the paint bright before painting), since it will help you to hide some imperfections. After that you can apply the paint.

I hope this is of some assistance to you...

Ricardo

Posted on: 2002/9/13 15:15

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
thanx for ur help all, im trying to scan the pics
[

Posted on: 2002/9/14 10:02

You can view topic.