Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

trouble with the copue
Guest_
well hooked up all the wiring today exactly as it was but as 1200rc and boofhead know when i called for advcie, the starter motor kicks in once the battery is hooked up (a problem as battery is in the boot).
the earth is going to the block and the positive from the battery to the starter motor as it should be but something is not right. alternator is wired correctly as well.
any help electrical gurus?

the motor was a 1200 a12 now a 120y type a12. 1200 starter and alternator used that was on old engine.

Posted on: 2005/2/26 7:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: trouble with the copue
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
Group:
Registered Users
Check that you didnt accidently tighten the big power cable for the starter so that it is resting in the start wire terminal.
If thats not the case, make sure that you put the big power cable on the correct bolt on the starter solenoid ( it doesnt go on the bolt that has the wire which goes inside of the starter)

Those are 2 simple little mistakes that happen so often

Posted on: 2005/2/26 7:42

Guest_
so when looking at the starter fitted in the car front on, the power is currently hooked upto the bolt closest to the drivers side of the car, the other bolt(connection) looks like it has not been touched for years.
Also do you mean that the big wire is not touching the litte earth wire?

I forgot to mention that the horn goes off at the same time, i removed the air horns air lead as it scared the crap out of me.

Posted on: 2005/2/26 23:03

Group:
Registered Users
I dont have one to look at, and even then the solenoid could be in a different position from yours.
Quote:
the other bolt(connection) looks like it has not been touched for years.

Just check that this bolt is the one with a length of wire attached, which runs inside of the starter. If it is = OK, If it isnt = make sure the big power cable isnt on the bolt of which I just described.

Quote:
Also do you mean that the big wire is not touching the litte earth wire?

No I dont know what earth you are talking of. I mean the push on terminal ( could also be a little bolt) that requires a wire from the key for cranking to happen like normal.

Quote:
I forgot to mention that the horn goes off at the same time, i removed the air horns air lead as it scared the crap out of me.

Somewhere you have messed up your wires. Take the skinny wire off the starter ( the crank wire ) and the wires off the air horns compressor, and also disconnect any other wires in the surrounding location that reach both of these positions.
Connect your battery and test everything properly to see where it is meant to go.

Posted on: 2005/2/26 23:55

Guest_
ok disconeected air horns (may even sawp them into ute hehehe) and checked starter motor wiring all ok. did not remove steering wheel as time was limited (put stock one back on after removing sports one).
same problem...... it starts as soon as the battery is hooked up.
have not altered any other wiring, just extended the stock wiring from whee original alternator wiring sat to where new one sits... all wired up correctly (retraced the wiring as only 6 wires).
any other suggestions?
last resort may be either to tow it closer to home as is on other side of the city or call a mobile auto electrician to help me check it out.
did not have this problem with old motor and thats all 1200rc and i changed over.

Posted on: 2005/2/27 13:35

From Okinawa, Japan
Group:
Registered Users
Open in new window

You see the push on connector on in the pic? If the positive wire connector makes contact with the this connector it will do what your coupe is doing. The wire with the connector should only have electricity when the ignition switch is moved to 'start'.

Posted on: 2005/2/27 13:46

Guest_
yep i see the push connector, the black wire with the yellow trace that indicates its an earth according to the wiring diagram and i leads to the ignition switch through the llom, does not touch, unlees the wire pulls on it.
i als think the starter in this mode is not engaging the flywheel as the motor will crank by hand but not when the battery is hooked up and this problem is occuing. i think i might have fried the starter?

Posted on: 2005/2/27 13:53

Group:
Registered Users
Dude either your wiring diagram is wrong, or you dont understand how to read one.
Black/yellow is not earth.
Your black/yellow wire should be in the same position as the pic.
When you connect the battery and the starter goes, does the engine turn?
If no, your big power cable to the starter is on the wrong bolt lug.

Plain and simply, your wires are wrong.
Neither the starter and the horn are on the same circuit. This tells me you have more than one wire wrong.

Unless you know how to use a test light or a multimeter and understand what you are testing for, you will be wasting your time and simply be guessing.

Posted on: 2005/2/28 8:13

Guest_
read the diagram wrong, the by tracer is not an earth... it goes to the ignition switch,,, my apologie phunk, ive been lloking at the diagram so many times for so long im almost dreaming it tron style.

i know how to wire things up and use a test light and multi meter (some times the multi meter confuses me) so i have a basic understanding that allows me to wire up accessories etc with no dramas and all to the correct wires.

im just stumped how it still can be doing this after extending 6 wires and replacing the stock seering wheel (there is no way the stock wheel could create a circuit to cause this).

wont be able to check again till saturday now.

thanks for the help, if this comes up again, you know im a biger dumbass than you think i am now

Posted on: 2005/2/28 11:55

Guest_
well got the coupe started, then the fuel bowl emptied and had to wait for it to prime again... then the battery died.
it ran great for about 30secs... just need new battery.

In the end all the wires were correct but for some bizzare reason once i disconneted the horn it will start as per a normally operating car but once the horn relay reconnected to the horn fuse the circuit closes and just spins the starter not actually sarting the car.

AS boof head has said to me, nothing a middle finger cant communicate. but with it all running at least i can work out the horn problem.

any sugestions now?
reading the wiring diagram (ive almost memorised it now) just shows the power going through the fuse box.
any ideas people.
will change the sterering whhel back to see if this may be the cause (very very unlikely)

Posted on: 2005/3/19 7:40

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.