Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Lseries Power Time
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
Well after alot of Umm'inng and Arhhh'ing I have mostly decided Lseries is new motor for me . Looking at doing L20 bore to 2.1 (88mm), full rebuild ACL gear, Flat tops depending on my piston options(which im not sure on yet), big head work 44mm inlet unsure on Ex atm, good qaulity valve springs etc, 10.5:1 comp, havent worked out the cam yet could be a 76 or 74 and set of 45s or 48s. Still have to work complete details out and prices. But looks like teh go ahead! Would like in the 140s to 150s rwhp with lots of tourqe. I have heard and seen alot of good Lseries that make this and is a good streetable aim. Could have gone Newskool but not my style something mean and oldskool will give most a run for there moeny and still have webers! Hopefully start on bits n pieces soon.

All my Aseries gear from motor, webers, 63a box, radiator, exhaust sytem etc will be going to. They will prob be up for sale mid November ... will be sad to leave the Aseries has been so much fun, but for what I want I would need to stress on too far.

Will keep things updated here on things I do, hopefully I get stuff done with in dcent time frame

comments welcome

Cheers

Posted on: 2006/10/5 10:22

Re: Lseries Power Time
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Good stuff, cant wait to see it get underway, you wont be dissapointed!

Posted on: 2006/10/5 10:36

IPRA Build
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Melbourne AUS
Group:
Registered Users
ohh nice big block team old school..

stroke it... you know you want to

Posted on: 2006/10/5 11:29

Home away from home
From Sydney , NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Ahhhhh yes ........ another convert to the mighty L series. Welcome to the fold Any help we can give - just ask!
Good luck !
Cheers

Posted on: 2006/10/5 11:34

From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
If I had that kind of moeny I proably would .. But im not sure on the extra horsepower I would get out of the stroker anyway, but proably a mountain of toruqe. The Tuff L20 will still rev quite well (not like a certain 12 but!) and have plenty of the oldskool grunt im chasing

Thanks Jeff your install has been a big inspriation and a great install to try and match

Posted on: 2006/10/5 11:34

Home away from home
From Brisbane Australia
Group:
Registered Users
L series are still a good old work horse thats for sure best bit is no damn computers lol

Posted on: 2006/10/5 12:45

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
if your going with the L20, make sure you get the crank from the black top bluebird, series 2, i think, from memory Murray Coote told me you could rev them harder, something to do with the journal between the 3 and 4, i had a 76 cam in my L18, good power, but in the L18 power came on strong at around 5000rpm, not very streetable.

Posted on: 2006/10/5 12:57

From torquay, victoooooria, australia
Group:
Registered Users
nnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2006/10/5 13:51

Home away from home
From Bunbury Western Australia
Group:
Registered Users
traitor! whats the matter the good ol A seires not goo enough for ya huh
Although I had a 200B as one of my first cars, I used it to deliver pizzas and driving like an idiot, it did great burnouts and donuts at 2500rpm, wouldn't rev up just stayed at a constant 2500rpm while turning the tyres weird huh!

Posted on: 2006/10/5 14:48

From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

short-coupe wrote:
if your going with the L20, make sure you get the crank from the black top bluebird, series 2, i think, from memory Murray Coote told me you could rev them harder, something to do with the journal between the 3 and 4,
The crankshaft in the series 2 Bluebird engine [Black top] had a rolled fillet where the machined crankshaft journals meet the webs of the crank instead of the radius fillet that was used in everything before it.
This rolled fillet looks like a machined groove at the sides of the journals, but it is in fact rolled in there at the time of manufacture.

Chrysler Corp. Hemi's used this design since 1951 & it was one of the secrets of their crankshafts legendary strength, as this method actually causes the grain of the metal to flow from the journal to the web & this [apparently] seriously reduces the stresses at this point, [compared to the radius fillet] thereby providing improved crankshaft service life, particularly in engines that can see 'severe duty'
Cracking at this point can occur in radius fillet cranks when used at high rpm, hauling heavy loads, over lots of miles, like in some truck applications, passenger models that tow heavy loads, & , ummm, oh yeah, competition use.

So yes, the Black top L20B crank looks to be the one to use.

Well, that's the story as I read it.

Posted on: 2006/10/5 16:05

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.