Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

1200 in May CAR & DRIVER magazine
Home away from home
From Good Old Knockfull, Tennessee, USA
Group:
Registered Users
It has been a few years since have posted anything here.

I just got my May issue of CAR & DRIVER magazine a couple of days ago and what a surprise it was to find a great 4-page article on electric dragsters.

Most of the article is about JOHN WAYLAND and his tire smokin' WHITE ZOMBIE, a 1972 Datsun (not Nissan) 1200 sedan that is outfitted with a custom built siamesed pair of 8-inch electric motors that pull the 2300 pound car through a 12.151 second / 106.25 MPH quarter mile. The car has 30 12-volt batteries that pull about 325 HP and 772 pounds of torque.

I think it is neat to open a new mag about new cars that are on sale throughout the world and see an article with a 1200 as the hero.

Mareo

Posted on: 2007/4/22 19:14

If you ain't smilin' you ain't doin' it right
Mareo Speedwagon
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 1200 in May CAR & DRIVER magazine
Home away from home
From Invercargill, New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
Talk about a blast from the past! How have things been going Mareo? Last few posts we had from you years ago you were prepping your 1200 coupe for a ramble around the US - how did that go? Hope you will be able to participate in the forum again.

Welcome back.

Posted on: 2007/4/22 20:11

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From California
Group:
Registered Users
hmm, i wonder if the value of 1200 2dr's will skyrocket thanks to this article?

Posted on: 2007/4/22 21:43

Home away from home
From Tassie, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome back Mareo. Its been ages since I have been on the site too. So many members now its great to see the 1200 interest so strong.

Posted on: 2007/4/22 22:19

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Hi Doug, thanks for sharing the news with us. I'll be heading to the newstand to buy that issue of Car and Driver.

Posted on: 2007/4/22 23:19

Home away from home
From Good Old Knockfull, Tennessee, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Hi

I did take the trip around the country from Florida to San Diego to Seattle to Bangor Maine to the Outer Banks of North Carolina and back home here in Good Old Knocksfull, Tennessee, 7,100 miles and 5-months. I finally got to get out of here in March 2003 to start the trip. The stock A14, 5-speed and 185-60-14 rear wheels got the 1200 up tp 65 MPG if I kept the speed around 45 to 50 MPH.

I had some major problems with the car for a long time before I left on the trip. I replaced everything replacable and it still overheated. It turned out to be the ignition switch going bad and it only let partial voltage to go through it. I have never had any thing harder to diagnose than this one, not even with these newer cars with computers.

I haven't driven the car in two years now. It is rusted so bad that it is dangerous. I have had some major medical problems and I doubt that I will be able to afford to fix it.

In January, I was diagnosed with colon cancer and 8 weeks ago, they removed my complete colon. I am now recovering from that and have a urinary track infection for my efforts.

I will be back on here a bit but since I am not using the 1200 anymore, it may be in vain to be here.

I am now driving a 1954 Ford Crestline. The chrome and door handles have been removed and the interior is good. It is a great driver. I love the way it drives and handles. It doesn't have power steering, it doesn't need it. It steers real well when I parallel park. The original 239 CI OHV motor, Ford's first OHV V8, decided to go south lasy May. I replaced it with a 1972 Mustang 302 CI 4-bbl V8. I am going to replace the Holly 650 carb with the original 225 CFM 3-bolt Stromburg 2-bbl carb and the original oil bath air breather. I also have a set of 351 heads that have smaller valves and lower compression that may help in getting better gas milage. Gas is up tp $2.80 gallon here now and that is cheap for America. Gas milage rules.

Mareo

Posted on: 2007/4/29 9:53

If you ain't smilin' you ain't doin' it right
Mareo Speedwagon

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Open in new window

Car And Driver - online article & photo album

Datsun 1200 vs 351 Cleveland, left far far behind.

Posted on: 2007/5/13 15:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]