Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

1/4 Mile with open diff
Home away from home
From Toowoomba Q Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I like reading the 1/4 mile thread, and I've noticed some very good times are being done with open diffs.
I am gob smacked !
Is anyone else surprised at sub 14s ?

Posted on: 2008/2/22 5:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 1/4 Mile with open diff
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Cape Town ZA
Group:
Registered Users
I suspect that you are specifically reffering to my car, amongst others if there are any... Yes I do still use the open diff, and unless the previous owner changed it to a stronger type, it's still the original one that came with the car. I must be honest, I haven't opened the diff yet, and wouldn't be able to tell you if any mods was done to it's insides, to possibly give it some LS capability.

What I can tell you is that I've had to swap the two rear tyres the other day, as the right rear was worn down much more than the left. Unless you manage to line the car up perfectly, it insists on breaking traction with the RR and sending it up in smoke, this sometimes even happens right after you've turned left(which should open the right side...) and gave it some stick. For some strange reason the left doesn't seem to have such a tendancy to break traction. The problem is not so bad now, as the left tyre is now "smaller" from the wear, and it tends to even things out a bit.

What is even more amazing, is that the diff doesn't even have that much of a backlash, and it's quiet as a cat with socks. I guess I'll only find out what it's limits are once I had the chance to fit some semi slicks, I suspect it will die a sudden and untimely death.

I will try to shoot some video to prove that it's open though...

Posted on: 2008/2/22 10:36

Old
4AGZE 16V turbo
196.5KW/283NM
800m - 200km/h
400m - 12.3s
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.