Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

SR20 5 speed install into 1200 Coupe tunnel
Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
howdy all...

just want to know if anyone has pics of modifications to tunnel of a 1200 Coupe when they installed an SR20 5 speed into it?

Posted on: 2008/3/25 11:27

Re: SR20 5 speed install into 1200 Coupe tunnel
Home away from home
From north brissy
Group:
Registered Users
do you have a welder? can you use a welder if so make your own from stratch. otherwise you can do a dodgie and hammer in the close bits which will work but its no where near as good. or buy one from maddat. heres a couple of pics of the one i just made for mine:

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2008/3/25 11:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Newscastle, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Marty Johns car is a manual tunnel (auto tunnel is alot bigger) in the coupe and it needed a small amount of massaging to get my skyline R32 GTS-T box in it. I would not go to the expense of cutting a tunnel out. The massaging needed were for small bumps etc in the gearbox.
It is tight but the best way to get an SR20 in a coupe (cause youre not allowed to modify or cut the radiator support panel in IPRA rules) is to drop the engine in the car with the crossmember out of the car and then attach the crossmember to the engine under the car and also the gearbox then bring it all up to its mounting position.
It would be much easier to be able to separate the radiator panel and slide it in that way. If you do that youd risk being penalised in IPRA, but in saying that they are struggling for numbers so I would hardly think that it would be an issue.

edit;;;oh the reason i went the R32GTS-T box was that its stronger than a S13 box and actually alot shorter. You will need to change the bellhousing to suit. (they are interchangeable) I drove Denniss' car at Bathurst with the S13 box and the gear selector I thought was too far back.

Posted on: 2008/3/25 12:33

Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Phat_Dat... thanks for pics but i dont think i will get away with that much modding in IPRA.

Craig, i think i will look into the ratios for the R32 box and get the hammer out

Posted on: 2008/3/25 21:44

Home away from home
From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
We do these, very simple to fit if you can weld, and also allow the gearbox to be removed without the engine.

Open in new window

Posted on: 2008/3/26 6:31

Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
VERY NICE... As much i can say that i would much rather have something as neat looking as that included, i dont know how i would go getting it approved with IPRA regs.

I just had a look at the MADDAT site, i think we are going to have to talk!

Posted on: 2008/3/26 11:23

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
When I put my L16 in the racecar (not SR20 I know, but gearbox similar size ie. 63a stumpy) I didn't want to make it illegal for IPRA, we removed the original gearbox mounts so would not foul on the reverse light switch and also spread the tunnel a small amount with heat and a handle jack. Also massaged around wear the tunnel meets the engine bay, used a maddat ca gearbox crossmember which bolts through the floor.

Posted on: 2008/3/26 11:37

IPRA Build

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
When i last checked the rules for improved production, you could only cut around where the gear stick entered the cabin, & you could only make it just big enough for the box. No complete fabrication of transmission tunnels. I know the standard SR20 box is a big bastard, because i still have the one that came with the SR20 i bought in 1994. One of your other options is to try for a Navara 5 speed & change the front half of the gearbox case to the sr20's. If you've only got a manual tunnel it's a bit of a bugger, but a bit of massaging with a hammer might get you enough room. You will definitely have to cut off the standard mounts.
I agree with grabbing the Maddat Gearbox crossmember, & using captive nuts in the floor.

Posted on: 2008/3/27 2:54
Would it be possible to get a late model Nissan Micra, fit the 1.8 litre motor from a Tiida & then turbocharged it? Your answer must include parts numbers for the conversion. You have 12 months. Commence.

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]