Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

leaf springs
Home away from home
From young
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all im wanting new springs for the back of my 1200 ute and im just wondering will leaf springs out of a 120y coupe fit ?? THANX Appsy1

Posted on: 2008/3/30 10:26

Re: leaf springs
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
assuming 120y coupe and sedan springs are the same, the answer is no. 120y springs are slightly longer but will still bolt to the shackles. The problem is the centre of the spring is in a different spot and the diff will too far back (or too far foreward?).
You might be able to make it work with some fiddling but I dont think its worth it.

Posted on: 2008/3/30 10:53

Home away from home
From young
Group:
Registered Users
ok thanx for that mate Appsy1

Posted on: 2008/3/30 11:09

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
Appsy, go to the local 4wd supplier & ask him if theres anyone local making leaf springs, maybe a 4wd supplier. I got somebody here in Sydney to service & de-arc the leaf springs from my Sunny panel van & his main bread & butter was springs for 4wd's. Somebody might even know an old blacksmith who can do the job for you. I once found an old blacksmith in the sydney suburb of Smithfield, who modified a swaybar for me, re-tempered it & all.Got a 22mm front swaybar to fit my sunny for $20 all up.

Posted on: 2008/4/1 1:50
Would it be possible to get a late model Nissan Micra, fit the 1.8 litre motor from a Tiida & then turbocharged it? Your answer must include parts numbers for the conversion. You have 12 months. Commence.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From young
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for that il check it out the main reason is i flipped the main leaf and put it on top of the pack to lower but then i read a thread about how dangerous it is so i want new springs now then il just get blocks to put in because i live in a small country town theres not very many places to go but il look around THANKS again Appsy1

Posted on: 2008/4/1 2:57

From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Young is a great country town but I don't know that I'd call it 'small', at least when compared to the town I live in. [pop. about 2,250]
None the less you are within striking distance of a number of other places, Bathurst & Canberra among them, so have a squiz at the online Yellow pages for some places to check out.

I haven't been in town for over 12 years, but if there is a Repco or other auto accessory shop, then ask around in there as auto enthusiasts seem to gravitate to these kinds of businesses & may also be able to help.

Posted on: 2008/4/1 3:11

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
Appsy, sometimes being in a 'small' town is better, because everybody knows everybody it seems, so if it's there, just a little asking of questions will get you started. Someone whose been doing these things all his life is a treasure, he'll tell you more things in half an hour than you'd ever want to know, he'll clip you round the ear & teach you some respect if necessary, & he'll probably know somebody else who can help you with any other problems. Old Guys in sheds are always good value.

Posted on: 2008/4/1 5:00
Would it be possible to get a late model Nissan Micra, fit the 1.8 litre motor from a Tiida & then turbocharged it? Your answer must include parts numbers for the conversion. You have 12 months. Commence.

Home away from home
From perth
Group:
Registered Users
my coupe has 120y springs
they dont work!!!
dazza

Posted on: 2008/4/1 12:33

From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
There is a pedders in wagga. Most pedders suspension have their own access for lowering springs properly. They can add or remove springs to suit whatever your needs are. You can send them your springs or take the whole car. It is better if they do the whole job so there is no mistakes. They also supply longer U bolts and from memory they also custom make u bolts.
I drove around for ages (about 2 years or more) with a flipped spring. It is just luck of the draw if you break a leaf. It soes put a lot of pressure on the other springs. I just reversed mine because with the kids in the back of the 120Y it's a bit hairy. Piss funny though over speed humps.

Posted on: 2008/4/1 12:44

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
You don't reverse the whole pack do you? I just get the smallest leaf which is on the bottom of the pack and put it upside down on the top of the pack to flatten it out some. I must add that this is not recommended and as said below does put more strain on the other leafs.

Posted on: 2008/4/1 12:49

IPRA Build

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.