Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

my 120y
Home away from home
From ACT
Group:
Registered Users
So continuing from my mis post on the maqin forum..

The extractors have been modified to fit the manifold and it all sits on nicely.

Have removed the a12 from the 120y, snapping part of the clutch cable in the process but oh well
it was at the end of a long day,
lesson: never try to do too much u only end up makin dumb mistakes

pics of the engine w carb/exhaust mock up on photo bucket

Open in new window

catch ya

Posted on: 2009/1/11 10:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: my 120y
Home away from home
From ACT
Group:
Registered Users
a14 is in and hooked up, gonna fire it up tomorrow and see what's what

then it'll be lookin at swapping in some 180B struts w lowered kings
jus got more homework i guess

so hopefully tomorrow it'll be runnin

Posted on: 2009/1/17 9:43

Home away from home
From ACT
Group:
Registered Users
The a14 remains untested ran out of time on the weekend and I also gotta wait to get another bit for my sus/Hitachis
till it can be started up.

The SU style Carbs will be a new thing for me - used to nikki/weber style.

I've never seen a running Hitachi set up let alone set one up myself but from what I gather u have two fuel lines, main and overflow, the latter can (in bodgy backyard situations like mine) be t plugged into the fuel line before the filter or so I've read ????

then there's vacum for dizzy, which I guess comes off the front carb down at the bottom nipple thingy

After that throttle is sorted but the choke remains a mystery, i'll see how my research goes...

I've decided to go with jellies as the rim of choice
mainly cos i already got two 14inch ones from a 180B
currently I've got em on the back
they're 195/60/14 and it doesn't look like they'll clear the guards so I'll have to lip em but I really like the way they fill it all out...
I'm not sure what to go for on the front yet and i dont want to spend $$ rolling jus a tap w "the manager" is all i can afford atm
so yeah plenty to think about and hopefully get it goin this weekend!!

Posted on: 2009/1/19 7:21

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
I used an old piece of 2" exhaust pipe to roll my 120Y guards, worked very well. Only troublesome spot was the seam on the rear guards where there is I think 3 layers of metal to bend, but bouncing on the rear got it done

ps. I wouldnt invest too much into the body of that car.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 7:28

Home away from home
From ACT
Group:
Registered Users
i hear ya man
its only a shell and a rusty one at that!!
i plan to drive it pretty hard so itll last as long as it lasts... It is a 120y after all the important bits will fire many a future babyb mwa ha ha

the obvious rust will have to get some attention of course... we must have rego we must!!!

Yeah lol I got old 2inch exhaust... sounds easy Ill see how I go!!!!

Posted on: 2009/1/19 7:44

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Yeah lol I got old 2inch exhaust... sounds easy Ill see how I go!!!!

You can use a hairdryer as well if you don't want the paint to crack. It might make the metal roll a bit easier as well. That's what I did with mine and it came up well!

Posted on: 2009/1/19 7:59

Home away from home
From ACT
Group:
Registered Users
was talkin to a panel beater mate
he thought what u were suggesting would get the job done

he reckoned that it would be better if you tapped the lip flat back against the rim of the wheel arch to give the rolled edge some strength tho...

did u guys have probs w the integrity of the panels when rolling em?

cheers for the info guys
also got a 1200 coupe tach and electronic dizzy for this banger!!!
still on the hunt for jellies tho...
off to the wreckers me thinks

Posted on: 2009/1/22 5:38

Home away from home
From ACT
Group:
Registered Users
so if anyone can help??

SU's were supposed to be all that an a bucket o chips cos they have a variable choke

but I've read around and it seems as though there's still some kind of mysterious automatic or manual choke for them

now as I understand su theory the choke ie piston slides up as air velocity/pressure in manifold increases creating suction which raises the piston opening the choke

vis a vis no need for manual choke jus "automatic" (a very loose application of the term methinks but meh) as is the design

anyway if anyone can correct me please do cos I'm jus gonna leave the choke cable unattached
and I have nfi where it'd go anyway

still searchin for jellies

these 14 inch ones i have seem to be pretty rare in that no one has any for sale

anyone want to swap 2 14's for 4 13's?

anyway still waitin on carb bits before firing the ol girl up

damm isn't patience a virtue

catch ya

Posted on: 2009/1/28 7:29

Home away from home
From ACT
Group:
Registered Users
turns out throttle linkages for the su s were lost in the post. need to get new ones. Note to everyone: When selling something with little parts make sure you wrap the package properly

fired up the a14 it runs but oly w a stock carby atm spent a bit of time tuning it by ear and managed to get a reasonable idle
quite happy with it for 150 it revs nice and clean and sounds great even with the stock carby
next need to get rest of exhaust made up so it doesnt sound like a mini jumbo jet
more jelies arrivin next week
then pay the rust some attention and new bushes in the front end and its rego time

Posted on: 2009/2/8 10:09

Home away from home
From ACT
Group:
Registered Users
Latest Update: got quoted $340 for straight thru zorst which I will get done once rust is cut out....

MAJOR rust has been identified in both rear 1/4 panels, can see into the boot on one side. now to make plan for removal, I have NFI wot I'm doin. I just wire brushed the paint back around the rusty bits and I'll ask my mate wot he reckons will be the best way forward.

New Carb - 36/36 DCD Syncronous weber on its way from D, cheers for holdin onto it for me!!!
Twin hitachis at shop gettin replacement bit made up.

Talkin to a dude @ work. Turns out he's got a flow bench and loves portin heads and stuffin around w that stuff so I've got an a12 head to be flowed and ported to match the a12gx inlet manifold, then double valve springs/seats, cam, and go go gx goodness.

That's for another project tho... The a14 120Y should only be about a month away from completion now...

Pics soon of engine bay and jellies on the beast. I think it looks like a Ninja Turtle w the baby spew yellow/green colour and dark green grille... Cowabunga dudes!!!

Posted on: 2009/3/3 2:32

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.