Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Perth wa.
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Albany, Perth Australia
Group:
Registered Users
sounds like something might actually get organised hahaha...good luck with this bunch. And that does sound about right mick hahaha

Posted on: 2014/5/31 6:24

From Coondle, WA Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Slim_Dangerfiel wrote:
So the questions i have for everyone is:
1)How far are people willing to drive? (Joondalup to Mandurah etc?)
2)How long would people like to drive for? (couple hours etc)
3)Where would be a nice central location for everyone to meet?

Slim

From my experience trying to run an event is like trying to herd a bunch of very angry wet cats that you just flushed down the toilet.

That's not to say that's its not possible. I've have organised one or two successful events in the past, and a few that have been huge failures where I have ended out of pocket because people cant be bothered.

Leveys answers are pretty good guideline. Don't ask for too much opinion, cause you will get everyone's opinion and you will be unable to get it to suit anyone.

From my experience here are some tips to consider.
Generally, when people come on a car cruise, they don't want too much restriction. They tend to want to take their time and wander about. Estimate how much time you think you need and then double it.

Whatever you do, don't commit to anything financial, such as a deposit for a table at a pub or for food platters etc. You will end up paying for it all yourself, and the stingy buggers either wont turn up, or don't bring cash, leaving you out of pocket.
If you do need money from people, they need to deposit before the event in enough time for you to make the reservation in time or to cancel.

When I tried to have a car cruise that wove around the Perth Hills a few years back, we had people who weren't interested in following the planned route or didn't want to got he whole way, or wanted to do parts of the route. We started with about 15 cars, and in the end we had 3 from memory cause people couldn't be bothered to tell me what their plans were. After stopping every 20 mins to check everyone was still following and making frantic phone calls looking for cars that had "just decided to leave" in case the were involved in an incident.

Shed tours can be great fun! Allow lots of time at each stop and add 50% to the travel time between sheds. Its takes time to get everyone moved from A-B.
Encourage shed owners/stops to put on food/events/music or something for everyone. Its makes it more interesting.

As for start/finish points, just pick a spot to start that's somewhere in Perth, follow a simple route with only a few turns, and finish somewhere close your place. You might as well have that benefit since you are organising it.

For times, for a single stop like a pub for a meet-up, that's simple. A few hours is enough.
For a multi stop shed run, most of a day is needed to get through a few stops.

Start reasonably early in the day, say 9am at the latest. Also consider that if you say 9am start, people will start turning up at 9. If you want to leave by 9, tell people to be there an hour before.

If this sounds a little cynical, its not, its a healthy dose of scepticism. Like I said, heading cats...

I have Targa West again this year in August, ill post up some details as soon as I get organised. Its a great weekend and seems like its the annual Datsun Perth get together.

If you look up Targa West or Perth car run (or similar), you should find some of the events that I have run on this forum. Its how I run my events, and I still get people being difficult/not turning up/ not paying etc.

I guess you are dealing with people. That's it really.

Posted on: 2014/6/1 9:56
(http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Perth WA AUS
Group:
Registered Users
Nice post Reuby,
pretty much sums it up in one post.

And yes, Targa West at Reuby's is the best event/meet on the calender (no dickheads please).

Posted on: 2014/6/1 11:14

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]