Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Starter or Battery?
Just can't stay away
From Sunshine Coast
Group:
Registered Users
Hey guys last couple weeks my starter on the a12 has a 50% chance of going clunk clunk clunkclunkclunkclunk brooom starts up, other 50% it makes a clicking sound like it doesnt have the gutts to turn past a single tooth on the flywheel. Last weekend racq tested battery and said it was only running at 5.70 volts as opposed to the 12 volts its suppose to. But battery has full charge and remains this way each time ive gone to start it up. Normally i would think its the battery but im not sure how the battery could be half-assed and full-assed at random like its varying voltage output? Maybe i dont know what i'm talking about thats usually the case and thats why i'm asking. Sick of push starting it on the main street of mooloolaba...

If it is the starter, im willing to buy someones asap.

Thanks guys

Posted on: 2014/8/2 14:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Starter or Battery?
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From East New Britain, Papua New Guinea
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, I had a similar problem. Although I would probably look at changing the battery, I did have very similar symptoms but nothing battery related. If the starter motor is not properly installed or aligned the pinion will not be able to align or engage with the flywheel gear accurately enough. You end up with a loud click, which is often the giveaway for a dead battery.

It turns out I hadn't installed the second bolt and the starter needed to be re installed. You're looking for two number 14 bolts that secure the starter. Have a good look around it to ensure that the starter is snug in place and not tightened up on an angle.

The other thing could be a sticky solenoid, which is the component that throws the starter pinion gear into the ring gear of the flywheel. Sometimes these can be at fault.

You may also want to inspect both corresponding gears for excessive wear which wouldn't cause these problems but may contribute.

Back to the battery, that is a fairly substantial voltage drop. When was the reading taken? A partially depleted battery would probably show such a reading when cranking or when the starter was engaged to produce that 'click'.

The last and final thing I encourage you to check is your battery terminal contacts and the termination at the starter motor. Make sure all connections are tight and contacting well. A poor connection can produce just a click or a flickering of activity.

Posted on: 2014/8/2 20:00

Just can't stay away
From Sunshine Coast
Group:
Registered Users
Great thanks Chris i'll try those things this afternoon. Yes i will inevitably need a new battery. Battery was only tested a week ago when i was on the gold coast. It was tested when it was isolated as in the terminals were off while he tested it.

Thanks for the info i wouldnt have thought of those other things i'm sure it will be one of them.

Ta

Posted on: 2014/8/3 3:31

Just can't stay away
From Sunshine Coast
Group:
Registered Users
Had a look cleaned up all the terminals to no avail. Though found that if i kept 'clicking' it as in turning key to hear the click sound, after a few clicks it would engage again. So i'm think it is that solenoid thing. Before i rip it out and have a look, what would be the fix for that part? Or is there no fix and it just means i have to buy another starter? Thanks

Posted on: 2014/8/3 6:04

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Could be starter brushes as well.

Is the battery a maintenance free type or the cells can be inspected?

Posted on: 2014/8/3 6:16

Just can't stay away
From Sunshine Coast
Group:
Registered Users
This is the battery being used...

http://www.gotbatteries.com/index.php?m=search&fID=37L107S2

I did test it with jumper leads from another battery to this battery and problem persisted. So although i will replace battery anyway, I think it is not a battery issue anymore.

Posted on: 2014/8/3 6:46

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah but good idea to replace it anyway especially if its old.

When did the problem start?

Is there a metallic/grinding sound when it starts? If not, then the ring gear on the flywheel is ok and so is the pinion gear on the starter and don't think it could be an alignment issue.

Next time it clicks, get someone to knock the start motor body (not solenoid) and see if it starts straight away. If it does the its the brushes.Best bet would be to remove the starter and get it serviced or replace it.

Hope it helps.

Posted on: 2014/8/3 7:57

Just can't stay away
From Sunshine Coast
Group:
Registered Users
No there doesnt seem to be a grinding noise. I would have thought maybe the starter gear isnt sliding forward to engage into the flywheel teeth half the time and thats what the problem is but what your saying makes sense too.

Problem only started last monday. Doesnt seem to be worsening, just seems like the 50% chance thing i mentioned in original post.

Thanks for that i will try that tomorow afternoon. Appreciate your help.

Posted on: 2014/8/3 12:42

Just can't stay away
From Sunshine Coast
Group:
Registered Users
How much am I looking at for new brushes if it is the brushes? Wouldn't mind doing that if it's not too expensive. Although I could imagine I'll find another starter for reasonably cheap.

Posted on: 2014/8/4 10:31

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]