Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Wiring harness grade cable
Just can't stay away
From melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Hi guys i am making my own complete wiring loom for a sr20 swap in a 120y and i have been looking for wire that is the same thickness in terms or insulation and strand to most oem wiring looms

I went to jaycar and they have wire that looks the right guage but has very little strands in it and is very light duty and then the stuff with decent amount of strands has to thick insulation

Is there anywere i can get oem quality cable also a few colors instead of just black green and red

Thanks

Posted on: 2016/8/20 9:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Wiring harness grade cable
Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
Hey mate, I looked into this myself at one stage and there are places online but you normally have to buy the wire by the roll and it gets expensive quickly if you want more than a few colours (plus you'll have lots left over). What ecu do you plan on using? If you are using an aftermarket ECU then normally the ecu manufacturers generic harnesses are cost effective. Apart from that there are companies like wiring specialties that make conversion harnesses along with lots of other Australian wiring conversion business. If you still want to make your own harness then maybe find a local wiring conversion shop and see if they will sell the wire you need.

Posted on: 2016/8/21 1:50

Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/21 5:53

Just can't stay away
From melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks i will check them out

Il ve running a megasquirt ecu i have already built it and i just need to wire it up

Thanks

Posted on: 2016/8/21 7:55

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
I used the shielded 9 core from Jaycar for my sensors since there's almost zero current and they're more prone to noise. The other wires I used different gauges for different jobs. The Megasquirt manual will tell you how much current (maximum) is on each pin on the connector and I think they also list the gauge wire you need. I connected all the non-sensor ground pins to one 20A cable with a few smaller pieces of wire.

Prior to my latest loom with a bulkhead across the fire wall I used a D37 printer cable and wired everything to that. It worked, but it wasn't removable and there were too many fiddly little joins for my liking.

Have a look on eBay or similar for packs of coloured wire or have a google, there's plenty of places that sell smaller quantities of coloured wire for looms.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2016/8/21 10:53

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Why not just purchase a complete loom from the wreckers? Most guys here take the S13 loom and shorten it. It's more work, but cost is low and its guaranteed to be OEM spec wires

Our local SR guru uses very small wires on homemade loom. As lamb_daiquiri said, the CPU inputs can be very small gauge. Only the Injector output and the power wires need to be larger

Posted on: 2016/8/22 0:39

Just can't stay away
From melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Hey thanks guys

I no what you mean but some wire are not as heat resistent and get very soft with engine bay heat

I have done a bit of research and automotive grade cable is called TXL so im going to call a few places and get prices

I have a s13 loom but by the time i modify it for a megasquirt it will be easier to make my own and alot cleaner aswell

Posted on: 2016/8/22 1:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]