Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

MSD6AL woes.
Quite a regular
From Cairns, Far North QLD, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Hey everyone. I've recently bought a second hand working MSD 6AL ignition for my 1200 and a brand new Blaster 2 Coil for it too. I've gotten around to wiring it all up today and my problem is that whilst I'm cranking the engine it wont ignite and the voltage from the 12V "ON" position of the key barrel that the MSD is hooked up too drops down to around 4.0-0.0V. The MSD requires 5V minimum to operate. After releasing the key sometimes the engine will catch and ignite whilst the throttle is on and then run for about 3 seconds and die. I've been messing around with this all afternoon and it's driving me nuts.

Posted on: 2017/2/7 12:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: MSD6AL woes.
Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
It's delivering spark to the plugs so I know it's working, but it's odd that whilst I crank the voltage drops and it can't ignite. I've tried supplying it with 12V from the "START" position of the key barrel and it wont ignite then and I've tried 12V from the "ACC" wire of the key barrel as well. Should I wire it up too the "HOT" wire from the fusible link so I know it getting 12V at all times or is there a better solution to this?

Posted on: 2017/2/7 12:29

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Just throwing it out there but I'm thinking it could have something to do with the ballast resistor which acts to reduce current flow to the coil. It should get bypassed during cranking though I believe. Did you leave the ballast resistor in place and connect it up to the Blaster Coil or did you remove it?

Posted on: 2017/2/7 15:44

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
You are right. The ballast resistor should be left in place if you are still using the points distributor

The MSD unit RED wire should be connected to BOTH the ON and the START wires

Where the MSD wiring diagram shows the IGN switch, it doesn't show BOTH ST and IGN wires connected. With some Datsun ignition switches it will work as shown but if you use both wires then all Datsun ignition switches will work

Attach file:

jpg  6AL wiring.jpg (77.59 KB)
174_589a3018284ef.jpg 928X634 px

Posted on: 2017/2/7 20:37

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Check if the coil is for points or electronic firing. They are different.

Posted on: 2017/2/7 22:05

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Good idea, important factor. MSD Blaster 2 coil is for stock-type electronic ignition (0.7 ohm). Is it compatible with MSD 6AL?

Posted on: 2017/2/7 22:25

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Alright, sorry for the late reply fellas. Cadet1200 I removed the ballast whilst wiring up the MSD as its job is too supply the coil with the correct voltage and not the ballasts. As for your recommendation DD I had the original 12V ON wire and the original 12V START wire going into a Y shaped adapter and then too the red wire of the 6AL. It still didn't work with this method. I also know the Blaster 2 is compatible with the 6AL so its not a problem. I'm still running the original points dist so that could be the problem. Otherwise I'll wire it up too the HOT wire from the key barrel and put it on a switch so it doesn't drain the battery.

Posted on: 2017/2/13 5:01

Home away from home
From Little Rock, AR
Group:
Registered Users
Since it's used, you need to access the cylinder select wire and make sure it has been set up for a 4 cylinder (cut wires).

Posted on: 2017/2/13 16:16

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks AFRacer. I've already done that so it can't be the issue then. I needed to cut both for it to run for a 4 cylinder.

Posted on: 2017/2/14 13:37

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]