Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

A14 or A15 engine in coupe
Not too shy to talk
From Hobart, Tasmania
Group:
Registered Users
If I was to put either the A14 or A15 in my coupe, how easy is it, does it fit on the original engine mounts and will the gear box and
everything else bolt up?
I have extractors on my old A12 engine, will I be able to use these if I put in the other engines.
Any info on these questions would be great,

Andrew.

Posted on: 2000/7/26 4:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: A14 or A15 engine in coupe
Home away from home
From Good Old Knockfull, Tennessee, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Hello Andrew, I have an A14 in my 73 coupe. I used one of the mounts from the A12 and one from the A14. The left side mount can be drilled closer to the edge that the original mount hole and
it will work. I put a plate that covered the fuel pump on the right side and drilled the two mount holes. I use an electric pump. If you set your engine in place, bolted to the transmission,
you can see where to drill your holes. Be extremely careful that the engine is sitting level and not cocked to one side. People tell me that the A14 head is better because it has larger
valves. In my first 1200, I used the A12 head. It gave a cheaper way to gain more compresson and get better gas milage. If you are running a stock motor, that should be the way to go as
everything (carb, intake, exhaust, etc) stays the same. Your extractor will still fit the same as it did and it will also fis the A14 head. When I put my tuned header to the A14 head, I had
to cut off a lot of the intake manifold where it was connected to the exhaust manifold. I used a very unorthodoxed method of cutting off all of the excess metal. I had a power miter saw with
a carbon tip blade in it and I just took it off one sawblade width at a time while holding and turning the aluminum manifold in my hands. It didn't even dull the blade any. I also cut of all
of the mounting places on it that were not going to be used. I had to put in a larger radiator. I found a used VW Rabbit aluminum one, excellect cooling. Without the thermostat in it, the
temp guage would not even go up to the fisrt mark. I love running a cold motor. You lose in gas milage but you gain in power. I loved most, the 1171cc A12 motor. It would get its revs faster
and had a much better power band. I had my A12 turboed with a highly modified SU from a wrecked Jaguar XKE. I used a water/octane injection when I was on boost to keep it from detonating.
The A15 motor just doesn't have the rpm's and it does not rev as fast as the A14. It does have more torque but in a 1200 body, torque isn't needed as much as raw power. The torque does
however, help overcome the wind drag at top speeds. That is the only advantage the A15 has over the A14 and the only advantage the A14 has over the A12, especially if you have the sedan.
Stock, my sedan would do 94 MPH and my coupe would do 107 MPH. I have never had a hopped up engine in the coupe yet but I could get my sedan to 138 MPH with the mostly stock turboed A12 with
points. I can only imagine what the coupe would do with the same engine.
I hope this helps you and your endeavor.

Posted on: 2000/7/26 2:44

Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
When i put an A15 into my old 1200 i modified the mounts that are bolted to engine. But, this 1200 i just brought has modified the mounts on the x member using some steel plates.
It is alot stronger i think. But it was a backyard job as there was minimal weld. After i put some more weld in there it will never break. And u dont have to take off the fuel
pump either.

Scott
Davo

Posted on: 2000/7/26 11:03

Home away from home
From Good Old Knockfull, Tennessee, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry about that but I missed saying that I mounted the engine and trans aft about an inch. That is why I had to remove the fuel pump. The driveshaft had to be shortened also.
I had that shortened and balanced at a truck repair shop for $50. This was three years ago. The machine shop wanted considerably more. My apologies for omitting that bit of
info.

Posted on: 2000/7/27 1:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.