Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

CA18DET 1000?
Home away from home
From sutho shire, NSW, AUS
Group:
Registered Users
i know it is very possible, and there is plenty of information on putting a CA in a 1200. But what about a 1000. if anything i would say it would be easyer due to lack of strut towers. any info would be helpful.
cheers Elliott

Posted on: 2004/10/23 8:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: CA18DET 1000?
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne AUS
Group:
Registered Users
i recall seeing a multi coloured 1000 race car on this site with a ca18det fitted...

if you do a search im sure you'll find it...

Posted on: 2004/10/23 8:49

From Perth
Group:
Registered Users
Its been done before
Or at least I've spoken to someone here who said they did it recently.
Yes the fact there are no strut towers will help with width clearance. Biggest issue is length.

I'll be doing a CA18ET conversion next year myself.
And if the multicoloured race 1000 your thinking of is my one...its actually an A14/15 hybrid with webers.

Cheers
Neil

Posted on: 2004/10/23 16:37

From Mudgee NSW Australia
Group:
Registered Users
There is a multi coloured 1000 in bathurst that runs as a sports sedan it runs a CA18de soon to be CA18DET
Mathew Windsor is the guys name only a young fella his father has quite a few fast race cars. He had a 1200 coupe with 12A PP now has an open wheeler with a supra turbo charged engine!!! still sorting it.

Posted on: 2004/10/24 0:41

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
thanks fellas,
so i'm gathering its pretty rare right. like noones got a DET at the moment and there is one with a DE (soon to be DET). what difference in engine bay length is there between the 1200 and 1000?
cheers Elliott

Posted on: 2004/10/24 1:21

From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't think that there was a problem with length when i measured my 1000 up for the possible fitment of a CA16DE, & there was no problem with the width.
The potential problem was with the height.

The 1000 engine bay is smaller between the sucpension crossmember & the underside of the bonnet, & if you use the 1000's front suspension, then the crossmember can't be cut in the same way that the 1200 one can. I had a problem with the CA16DE's induction that sat above the cam covers, but the 18's induction is beside the head, so this part of the problem is solved.

The length problem may be directly linked to the small trans tunnel as this may necessitate moving the engine foward a little to allow bellhousing clearance, but if you bite the bullet & modify, or replace the tunnel right from the firewall, then this should address any wories here.

The CA20 transmission case with stumpy Skyline gearbox in it is also a good choice as it puts the gear lever about 2 or 3" further back than the stock position & this looks to be about as good as it gets.

Good luck
Chris

Posted on: 2004/10/24 1:38

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
i took it for granted that i would need to cut out my trans tunnel and make a new sheet metal one, BUT are you saying if i mount the engine forward and use a CA20 trans case i might not have to do this?
cheers Elliott

Posted on: 2004/10/24 3:11

From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
You will need to determine the answer to this from your own measurements, & moving the engine foward may place it into the radiator area. The 1000 tunnel is pretty squeezy.

I seem to remember that the 'A' series is actually a poofteenth longer than the CA16DE that i measured, from bellhousing face to fan mounting face. Have a look at the trans tunnel from an auto 1200, as well as from other Datsun models. You may be able to surgicly graft another tunnel rather than fabricate a sheet metal one. The advantage of this is that the tunnel would be the right size, be one piece, & end up looking stock [ish]

Posted on: 2004/10/24 10:24

From Perth WA
Group:
Registered Users
As Dodgeman mentioned, the problem with most transplants into 1000's is the height between bonnet and crossmember and steering components.
So things to also consider as possible solutions are custom sump or dry sumping, and mounting engine on an angle "slant" style.
and dont bother trying to fit anything into the trans tunnel except maybe a 2speed powerglide. chop as mch as u need to get the block up next to the firewall. the rearend is so light you dont want the motor sitting high or forward. get it in low and back as possible or the handling will be too crappy to use the extra power.
my 2c anyway.

Posted on: 2004/10/25 9:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.