Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

too much voltage!
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Perth WA
Group:
Registered Users
Is it by any chance normal for A series to run 17-18 volts??? Ive had a problem with overcharging for ages using up battery water etc,
I supplied a spare regulator to the mechanic because the original was meant to be faulty. when the second regulator did the same, i got another alternator from wreckers, and the same problem persists.. 17-18volts.

Is it possible I have had 2 faulty regulators or 2 faulty alternators, or both or what?
its an A14 in a 1000, so the alternator and regulator are not originally matched from factory.
electrical work isnt my thing really, so I had it at mechanics, but they cant figure it out and b4 I throw more money at an auto sparky, can anyone put a finger on the problem???
cheers, John

Posted on: 2006/7/3 15:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: too much voltage!
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Regulators aren't simple, but also not that complicated. You must be wiring it up wrong!

No way is this right. Did the lazy bastards check the wiring, or shake their heads and say 'ewww ohhh this isn't gonna be cheap to fix...'

I reckon some other dodgy mechanic has rewired something wrong in the past.

If you are getting >15v out of the alternator at idle, and it goes up with the revs, the alternator is fine..it's just something in the regulator.

Find a wiring diagram or use the 1200 one as a reference, as it uses a regulator and is easy enough to read.

Chris

Posted on: 2006/7/3 16:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: too much voltage!
From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1000Coupe wrote:
Is it by any chance normal for A series to run 17-18 volts???
cheers, John
No it is not normal to run those voltages, & it is not normal for a qualified mechanic to be unable to put his finger on the problem in a flash.
The original regulators are adjustable & the design of them must allow voltage to rise as they age or become worn as my regulator was puting out enough voltage to boil the battery dry in a relatively short time also, & this was in 1980.
In my case I fixed the problem by fitting a brand new one.

I have seen a number of Datsun 1000 & 1200 cars with a solid state replacement regulator, so obviously these things must now exist & are probably the way to go.

Full details on how to adjust the original regulators in 1000's & 1200's are contained in the Gregories workshop manuals [No. 87] & I highly recomend that you get one, although I didn't see any when I had a look through eBay [1200] & eBay [1000] a few moments ago.

One of these books will prove to be a godsend if you wish to try fixing it by adjustment

Posted on: 2006/7/3 17:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]