wheel balancing problems.Any advice?
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From South Africa, Bloemfontein
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all
Small problem with the damn wheels.
Background
Wheels are 185/60R13 mags. Got Firestone tyres on them.Wheels were balanced and had a small vibration of 5 to 10mm on the steering wheel at 60 - 70 km/h.Nothing at high speed.
Recent info
Got some time to re-balance them. Special balancer was used that can balance inner,middle and outer parts of mags.
Ok, no more problems at low speed. But as you might know I had a little fun the other night after a bachelor's party and noticed the damn thing gets vibrations at high speed now. So bad that at 150 the door panels shakes badly. Took it back for a re-balance that they did for free. Now it is the other way around again. 70 to 85km/h the steering has that 5 to 10mm small wobble in it. Anything faster than 90 it is as smooth as can be. Went back again. Then the guy told me that they had this problem in the past with other cars. His suggestion was making some kind of ring for the mag and putting it on and re-balance. Apparently this will resolve the problem. Did'nt get into detail about the ring story.
Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2007/8/20 16:10

Re: wheel balancing problems.Any advice?
Just can't stay away
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
sounds like the machine is not being setup properly. It obviously has a setting showing where the weights are being placed on the rim?

Other possibles....rim is out of shape, but would most likely show up on the balancer with a whole lot of weights needed. Also, could be a vibration from somewhere else....

Or... Buldge in tyre? check these things, and try changing rims front to rear, sometimes a vibration is the front may not be felt in the rear (sometimes).

Changed a few tyres in my life, but am far from an expert. Never heard of this ring?

PS. Just re-read your post. Is it a vibration? or a wobble? wobble may not be wheel related, more suspension

Posted on: 2007/8/20 21:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Selah, Washington
Group:
Registered Users
Try this one out

Tire balancing

Ok it is for bigger tires but....it may help

Posted on: 2007/8/21 6:52

Home away from home
From Toowoomba QLD
Group:
Registered Users
I would reccomend NEVER putting anything like ball bearings or Golf balls in your tyres. The problem will be like as someone has said, balancer not set up right or the person is not putting their weights in the right place. you have said that with different balances it moves the vibration to different speeds, this basically confirms that it is balance.

some other problem eg, slight runout on rims, tyres out of round, you normally can't change the "range" at which it vibrates.

Couple of things to get your balancer to do. Ask the tolerence before the machine "zeros" out, most are set at about 7-10 grams. Get them to reduce this to 2-3.

Get them to try the different types of balance (there are a few, static, dynamic etc)

Check the other problems while the wheel is up there spinning (no harm in checking to rule that out further down the track)

Double check the mounting face of the rim and hub is clean so the faces match up perfectly.

Check wheel bearings are in good condition.

If the problem persists, rotate the tyre/rim assembly 180 deg on the hub and see if the problem is still there or changes in any way.

Is the problem on alloy wheels? try two steelies on the front to see what happens. EDIT: just reread and saw it is on alloys!

Consider getting an "on vehicle" balance as this balances the hub and everything together.

Hope one of these wild suggestions helps, poast up your results

Posted on: 2007/8/21 7:28

Home away from home
From Toowoomba QLD
Group:
Registered Users
Just had another thought, are you limiting the balancer by not wanting weights on the outer rim of your mags?

Sometimes the customer doesn't want ugly weights showing and the balancer puts stick on weights just inside the spoke when the balancer is not set up for this.

Also, you don't have any of that anti puncture crap in your tyres do you? This stuff can stuff your balance completely.

There was something else but buggered if I can remember it at the moment, I'll poast it up later when it comes to me.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 7:39

Home away from home
From the central coast, nsw
Group:
Registered Users
sounds to me that u have suspension problem have u checked ur wheel bearings for any movement or ur strut bolts r they lose??

Posted on: 2007/8/22 23:06

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]