Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Clutch help...
Home away from home
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
yesterday i finished putting everything back together, and started the car...the engine sounds great, but the clutch sounds like it isnt engaging properly...when the pedal is
in, the sound goes, when the pedal is out, i get a sort of spinning noise...
does it sound like it needs adjusting? Do i adjust it at the firewall?
Oh yeah it is a sunny, with a cable clutch. the cable has a sort of circlip on it...
Help please, i need my car.
I'm going off now to drink some fanta.

Linc.

Posted on: 2001/12/23 7:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Clutch help...
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Are you on drugs? I know a lot of that nasty weed is growing up around your area. The noise is the throw out bearing. You should replace it when you replace the clutch, especially on
a street car. On a race car it's not required so much. The throwout bearing is worn more in daily drivers.
As for adjusting the cable for your clutch it's easy, loosen off the nuts and fiddle with the tension until the clutch disengages in a good place, then tightenen up the locking nut
to secure. Read the manual for further details.

Stop drinking so much fanta. It's rotting your brain, remember it's only for use in high power engine applications, especially in parts of New Zealand.

Chris.

Posted on: 2001/12/26 6:22

Home away from home
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Nope, not drugs, just bushfire smoke. Ah, gotta love the Australian Christmas.
About the throwout bearing... It was fine before, would it start making noises due to the box being taken out and put back in?
Another thing i was thinking of was that i am using the vanette clutch (heavy duty) i got with the other engine - is there a chance it doesnt fit the 4 Spd? the engine came out of a
1200 coupe.
Since i know dick about clutches, i am going to bore u with dumb questions. If the plate is centred, the clutch housing is bolted on tight, and the gearbox is bolted on straight, it
should work shouldnt it?
Ill start it up and drive it and see how it goes.

thanks for all your help, hope u all had a great christmas day.
Linc.

Posted on: 2001/12/26 8:26

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I almost surely expect it to work.

If the clutchplate ( round thing with springs in it) fits on the gearbox input shaft, then that's a good start. If you know the clutch and pressureplate match and bolt up to the
flywheel then that's better. If you can bolt up the gearbox to the engine, that's even better. When you connect up the clutch cable, you can see some movement and if you look through
the hole in the side, and can see some movement inside the gearbox then you are probably ok to try start the engine. Put it in neutral first!!
Don't park close behind your neighbours BMW before testing your clutches ability to disengage.

These are copyright 1200 clutch installation instructions. Please don't reproduce :)

Chris

Posted on: 2001/12/27 2:11

Home away from home
From Good Old Knockfull, Tennessee, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Linc,

A throwout bearing is magic, take it out once and it doesn't work right afterwards. It mostly works that way. I always repalce them if they are over a year old, it saves doing it again. I
can do a clutch job on a 1200 in close to a half hour or at least I could before I got all screwed up this past summer. I re-broke my shoulder trying to loosen the exhaust on a Ford Probe
two weeks ago so I am still not back to par.

Mareo

Posted on: 2001/12/27 8:47

Home away from home
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
yeah i was wondering how you were mending... you see, your body is rejecting other makes and models, it is trying
to tell you something.
hope it heals well, and no more fords!

Linc.

Posted on: 2001/12/27 5:28

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.