Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

CA18DET mid range power boost tip!
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
so i read up about the inlet butterflies on the CA18DET, they reduce the inlet flow up to roughly 4200rpm to get better torque/power/flow below that point. above that they can be open for high flow/power

people have shown on the dyno 15kw extra power (at an rpm where you have 60kw) and 15-20% more torque below the switch point of 4200rpm

thought i would try hooking mine up with the suggested vac pump method. previously mine was just connected to the inlet manifold (this gives the benefit off boost - but with the T25 boosting at like 2500rpm im missing the benefit from 2500-4200) even with a bigger turbo the butterflies should also assist with getting on boost earlier

anyway it worked and works great, i now have more power when it first comes on boost and i have noticed the asthmatic sound i could hear especially in 3d/4th gear is gone, there is just more power and smoother delivery

so.... it's not meant to be a sales pitch... but i got excited at the wreckers... i left with 6 of these pumps when i only wanted 2... so if anyone wants one get in contact... otherwise i pulled them from volvos/audis A4+A6/saabs with cruise control... they were all in different places such as in the passenger guard behind the water tanks and under ABS controllers, one was conveniently on a firewall. I will post a pic of the pump and wiring instructions if there is interest

by using the elec pump you dont need the valves/solenoids and reservoirs of the standard CA setup, so it's a bit neater and hopefully more reliable

i watched the pump activate the butterflies, it has a nice smooth action over 1/2-3/4 of a second so i dont think a valve is required to smooth the action

Posted on: 2014/4/21 9:43
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: CA18DET mid range power boost tip!
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
I'll take one thanls

Posted on: 2014/4/21 10:21

Home away from home
From Port Douglas. QLD
Group:
Registered Users
I'll take one too. how do you Hook them up..?

Posted on: 2014/4/21 10:45

From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
basically you need a to be able to wire a relay for them and then the one vacuum hose from pump to the butterfly diaphram

i got a diagram for the relay off the net which i will post but there was an error in another diagram for the wiring to the pump itself. the wiring is a little tricky because it's all earth triggered but if you follow the diagram there should be no problem

$45 delivered for a pump, you will need your own relay

Posted on: 2014/4/21 10:50
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
looks neater and goes better sounds good!

Posted on: 2014/4/21 11:20

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds interesting. I'm keen to see a pic of these pumps to understand how big they are and where I can neatly locate one.

Posted on: 2014/4/22 3:52

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Went to local wreckers yesterday for some radiator brackets and was looking under the bonnets of a few Saabs and Volvos. I located something that I think is what your a talking about. It had 2 x Vacuum connections with 1 going to the inlet manifold and the other into the air intake line and also had a couple of wires going to it.
The vacuum pipes were a fair size (like heater hose pipe). If this is what you have I'm curious to see how you plumb it in.

Posted on: 2014/4/23 13:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]