Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

unusual turbo topic, L18 B110 help u seem to know a lot
Home away from home
From Adelaide, SA
Group:
Registered Users
we always seem to be talking about what sized turbo we are considering, how we are going to mount it, and whether or not to go blow thru or draw thru. but for ppl like myself, im more concerned in making it work first as i have never done such a modification. which brings me to my question.
what extra parts are necessary to setup a turbo correctly? Now im actually talking about cooling, ie oil or water. how are these devices setup, are our oil pumps adequate or do we need electronic pumps, and what extra 'bits' do we need?

Posted on: 2003/3/28 4:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: unusual turbo topic, L18 B110 help u seem to know a lot
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I'm certainly not an expert on turbos, but lucky for me the question isn't that hard

turbos are either water or oil cooled. you won't need to upgrade your oil pump.

For the oil feed, you can simply run a line (steel, copper or whatever) to a pressurised oil supply. On A series motors there is a convenient blank on the dissy side of the block leading to an oil gallery. simply unscrew this and with appropriate fittings its easy to make your oil supply line. The drain should go into the sump above oil level. I'm not technical enough to know how much pressure should be supplied to a turbo. This could be controlled with an appropriate sized restrictor in the line, if not the size of the line itself.

similar situation for water cooled cores. simply tap into the heater lines with T peices - before the tap! Obviously it will also need an oil supply.

An oil cooler is a very good idea on any turbo engine, especially those which rely on oil for cooling.

Posted on: 2003/3/28 5:28

Just can't stay away
From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Harry you beat me to it. I was just writing a reply. I'll edit out my bit on oil lines and water lines. :)

If you are using a draw thru setup (the easiest) you will not need an electric fuel pump and will not be able to use an intercooler or BOV (Bloody Obnoxious Valve).

If you decide a blow thru setup is the go you are looking at a little more hassle and money. Firstly you will need to seal off the carby so that the boost cannot leak out. Then you will need to correctly jet the carby. Also your fuel supply will need to be updated with an electronic pump and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. If you can get all of this to work with great success then you can think about using intercoolers and BOVs.

These item will only work on blow thru setups. Can you imagine running fuel through your intercooler or venting it ou your BOV? Besides a BOV would be pointless on a Draw thru because the throttle is mounted before the turbo. Therefore the turbo does not experience any back pressure when the throttle snaps shut.

Craig

Posted on: 2003/3/28 5:34

Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
NoPsi Said "Can you imagine running fuel through your intercooler or venting it ou your BOV? "
Just add a carby backfire and the intercooler is an instant BBQ

Posted on: 2003/3/28 5:43

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Canberra, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
NoPsi : I take it by your avatar that you have an A12 turbo?

Got any pics of your setup?

Posted on: 2003/3/28 6:06
Stanza front struts and brakes.
15x6 CSA Wheels with 195/50 rubber.

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
I had a talk to a few peole about turbo's and came to a partiucular one namingly T25G which is off the SR20-DET its smaller than the T28 but bigger than the T25 off the CA18-DET now I am told its a perfect setup and they are quite tough. I have a spare one which I will use on my spare A12 from the Sunny. I plan to rebuild the A12 then Who knows I might even buy a 1200 too mmmmmmmmm

Posted on: 2003/3/28 16:43

Just can't stay away
From Pakistan
Group:
Registered Users
Minimum PSI in turbo oil line should b 30 PSI which a standard A-12 can achieve without any modifications, and its a good idea to add a oil cooler in that oil line, outgoing line should b twice the size of incoming line. and should go straight DOWN to oil pan above oil level.

Posted on: 2003/3/28 20:08

Just can't stay away
From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Lobster: Work in progress mate. That's actually L18_B110's old sedan which I recently purchased off him. He is helping me build it up for tarmac rally, hillclimbs etc. I'll make sure I post up some photos as it progresses.

Craig

Posted on: 2003/3/29 13:28

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.