Using the B310 electronic distributor in other A-series engines s a very simple swap, with only one minor modification needed to put it in an older 1971-1973 A-type engine. This distributor is factory stock on 1979-1982 Datsun 210 (North American version of the B310), and is commonly known as a "matchbox" distributor for the small black electronic box bolted to the outside of the distributor.
NOTE: This is not the same as the Hitachi electronic distributor as can be found in some New Zealand Sunnys and earlier North American B-210s. The one we are talking about here has a small 'black box' bolted on the side of the distributor.
- stealth. Looks very much like a factory 1200 point setup
- Larger cap -- less chance to crossfire (important in humid climates)
- High-energy spark -- uses full 12V coil (no ballast resistor)
- No points to wear out, no dwell to adjust
CAUTION: The mechanical parts often go bad after 20 years. Inspect carefully before buying.
The good news is the electronics almost never go bad!
1. If you are working with an old-style A-series engine (1966-1973), modify the distributor hold-down bracket to fit old-style block. The mounting bracket on newer distributors needs a slot cut with a hacksaw. For details, see Using Newer Distributor.
2. Remove old distributor, Insert new distributor. And of course, set initial timing. For details, see the Ignition Timing article.
Ah, this is the easy part, especially if you get a cut of the wiring harness when you purchase your distributor. But if you don't, it's still easy to hook up the wires.
Connect wiring as shown here.
- The small black square on right side of schematic is the condensor
- As you can see, the two wires on the distributor go to the two coil wires.
The two wires on the distributor go to + and - terminals of the coil
- Remove the standard low-energy coil and ballast resistor, then bolt the 12V coil in its place
- I believe the condensor is optional, it is to reduce radio interference. I bolted the condensor to the distributor mounting screw. Keep it away from the vibration and heat of the engine (mount it to the body panel). One end of the condensor can go to the ground spade-connector on the distributor body
- One side of the ballast resistor has a 12V IGN feed, so connect the Black/white wire to this original wire (Black/white)
On the distributor's black box module, the T-connector wiring is:
- Head of T: "C" connector goes to Blue (L) wire (coil negative)
- Stem of T: "B" connector goes to B/W wire (coil positive)
D4K can work fine with stock gap (.031 to .035 inch), but can reliably fire gaps up to .051 -- which fire the mixture better.
Spark Plug gap specification
USA 1.0 to 1.1 mm (0.039 to 0.043 inch) * with NGK BPR5ES-11 plugs * or Hitachi L46PW-11 plugs
FU 1.1 to 1.3 mm (0.043 to 0.051 inch) * with BP5EQ-13 plugs * or L45PM-13 plugs
When swapping distributors, will the spark curve be right?
Actually, the weights and curves from a stock A12 distributor are not right for performance. You should calibrate every distributor if you want maximum performance.
Otherwise, yes it will run as-is no problems. Set the static initial timing to 5 degrees BTDC for USA distributors, as they have MORE advance than non-USA distributors (which are set to 7 degrees initial). Likely you could go up to 7 or 9 degrees, but it depends on the tolerance of the individual distributor and your specific engine. In other words, don't let it ping.
The black matchbox controller is super-reliable, so any problems are likely to be elsewhere. For testing procedure, see Matchbox Testing.
For non-maintenance parts see Hitachi D4K Distributor
Cap & Rotor
The Hitachi D4A cap & rotor also fits Hitachi D4F electronic ignition and Hitachi D4K electronic ignition. A-series, L-series and Z-series four-plug distributors use the same cap. Also fits Subaru, Honda and Isuzu with one of the above Hitachi types.
Part Number and aftermarket caps interchange, but differ by color, type of terminals (brass vs aluminum), cap finish material, presence or abscence of anti-tracking bosses inside, resistor type, vent/no vent, etc.
- Nissan 22162-19M01 CAP ASSY $36.48 USD
- superceded 22162-19M00, 22162-U6004, 22162-U6003, 22162-U6002, 22162-U6001
- Standard Motor Products JH-63X/JH-63T/JH-63
- Standard Motor Products JH-63/JH97 (aluminum terminals)
- Standard Motor Products JH-63X (Blue?)
- Standard Motor Products JH-63T/JH97T
- Bosch 03107 (resistor type) (or cap & rotor set: Bosch 06054) F2010-13140
- Bosch 1235999104
- Niehoff WA435CS
- Beck/Arnley 1743145/1746544
- BWD C561/C561P
- AC/Delco E386(12321929)/E374
- Mighty 6343
- Nissan 22162-AA020
- AirTex/Wells 5D1172
- Master Pro 2-4825
- 1977-1979 with L20B
- 1980 200SX with Z20E
- 1974-1979 620 PICKUP
- 1979-1982 210
- 1974-1977 710
- 1979-1981 310
- 1980 720 PICKUP
- 1978-1980 510
- 1974-1978 B210
- 1974-1976 610
- 1976-1978 F10
- Isuzu 1983 - 1986 IMPULSE
- Honda 1976 ACCORD
- Honda 1975 - 1976 CIVIC
- Subaru 1986 - 1987 GL
- Subaru 1986 - 1987 RX
- Subaru 1986 - 1987 GL-10
- Subaru 1986 - 1987 XT
Nissan 22157-U6091 Rotor, Distributor $10.67 USD
Rotor is same as points ignition, 1974 up:
- Standard Motor Products JR-79X/JR-79/JR-79T
- Bosch 04095, F2020-13435, 1987234015
- Lucas DRJ102C
- Subaru 22157-AA030
Make --- Model Year HONDA --- ACCORD 1976 CIVIC 1976-1975 NISSAN --- 200 SERIES 1981-1977 210 1982-1979 260 SERIES 1974 280 SERIES 1978-1975 310 1982-1979 510 1980-1978 610 1977-1974 620 PICKUP 1977-1974 710 1977-1974 810 1978-1977 B210 1978-1974 F10 1978-1976 PICKUP 1980-1976 PULSAR 1985-1984 PULSAR NX 1986 SENTRA 1986-1982 SUBARU --- SEDAN, COUPE, WAGON 1985 XT 1985
Model Year Range Engine Chassis Transmission Accord 1.6 1976 EF1 SJ_ 5MT,HMT Civic 1.5 2 Door/3 Door 1975-1976 ED_ SG_ Civic 1.5 Wagon 1975-1976 ED_ WB_ 4MT,HMT B210 1.3 1973-1974 A13 B210 B210 1.4 1974-1978 A14 B210 F10 1.4 1976-1978 A14 F10 Pulsar and NX 1.6 1983-1986 E16 N12 5MT,3AT 620 Pickup 1973-1974 L18 620 4MT,3AT 620 Pickup 1974-1979 L20B 620 720 Pickup 1979-1980 L20B 720 Sentra 1.5 1982-1983 E15 B11 Sentra 1.6 1983-1986 E16 B11 200SX 2.0 1976-1979 L20B S10 200SX 2.0 1979-1980 Z20E S110 210 1.2 1979-1982 A12 B310 210 1.4 1978-1982 A14 B310 210 1.5 1978-1982 A15 B310 260Z 2.6 1973-1974 L26 S30 280Z 2.8 1974-1978 L28E S30 310 1.4 1978-1980 A14 N10 310 OHV 1980-1981 A15 N10 310 SOHC 1981-1982 E15 N10 510 2.0 1977-1979 L20B A10 510 2.0 1979-1980 Z20S A10 610 2.0 1973-1976 L20B 610 710 1.8 1973-1974 L18 710 710 2.0 1974-1977 L20B 710 810 2.4 1976-1978 L24E 810 4WD Turbo exc. Brat 1983-1984 EA81T AM5,AW5 3AT Brat Turbo 1983-1984 EA81T AT55B 3AT Loyale Turbo 4WD 1985 EA82T A10/A11
- Nissan 22433-H7280
- Primary Resistance at 20C (68F): 0.84 to 1.02 ohms
- Secondary Resistance at 20C (68F): 8.2 to 12.4 Kohms
- Bosch 00200
- Beck/Arnley 1800039
- AC Delco E525 or C502 (replaces F519 #12321584)
- Standard Motor Products UF-4/UF-4T
- Airtex/Wells 5C1017
- Primary 200 Scale .7 - 1.4
- Secondary 200 Scale 9.0k - 15.5k
- 12321584, 22433-AA140, 22433-H7280, 22433-H7285, 22433-KA040, 22433-P7500, 22433-P7510, 22433-V0801, 22433-V0821, 22448-P9000, 22448-V0801, 22448-V0821, 429887900, 802518100, 88921271, 8942483450, C840, MD013789, MD025702, MD025703
- Coil: 12V non-resistor
- Bosch 00200, Beck/Arnley 1800039, AC Delco E525 or C502 (replaces F519 #12321584), Standard Motor Products UF-4/UF-4T
Make --- Model Year CHRYSLER --- CHRYSLER VEHICLES 84-82 CHRYSLER IMPORTS --- CHRYSLER IMPORT VEHICLES 82,79 SAPPORO 82-80 DODGE --- CHALLENGER 82-80 COLT 81-80 DODGE CARS 84-81 DODGE LIGHT TRUCK --- CARAVAN / GRAND CARAVAN 84 PICKUP - FULLSIZE / RAMCHARGER 81-80 PICKUP - MINI 82 ISUZU --- IMPULSE 89-83 MAZDA --- 808 77-75 NISSAN --- 200 SERIES 81-78 210 82-79 280 SERIES 83-79 310 81-79 510 80-78 810 81-78 B210 78-77 F10 78 MAXIMA 84-82 PICKUP 80-78 PULSAR 84 PULSAR NX 83 SENTRA 87-84 PLYMOUTH --- ARROW 80 CHAMP 81-80 PLYMOUTH VEHICLES 83-81 RELIANT 84 VOYAGER / GRAND VOYAGER 84
All 1974-1982 USA model B210 and B310 use the same vacuum advance modules. Advance varies slightly by year and model. Some are advance/retard units. See Datsun Factory Service Manual for details.
See Late-model Vacuum Advance for part numbers.
Distributor NumbersSee Hitachi D4K Distributor