Datsun model series B310 was the fourth-generation Sunny. They were sold 1977-1983 and marketed in various countries as the Datsun 210 or Datsun Sunny. In some countries it was designated Datsun 120Y, Datsun 130Y, Datsun 140Y or Datsun 150Y, depending on the engine fitted.
For more details and how the Sunny family was developed, see History of Datsun 1200.
B310 was introduced to Japan in November 1977 and exports started a year later.
WB310 Wagon (sweepback style)
1980-1982 Square Headlight model
B310R: 2-door sedan
VB310: Van 4-door (square back wagon) Album click to view Album click to view
VB310R: Van 2-door (square back wagon)
WB310: Wagon 4-door (Sunny California, and all USA wagons)
B310 vs. 310
Datsun model B310 was the fourth-generation Sunny family.
B10 1966-1970 B110 1970-1973 B210 1973-1978 B310 1977-1982
It is sometimes confused with the Datsun 310, which was a totally different model. Datsun 310 was a front-wheel drive model from the Pulsar family:
Album click to view
1979-1983 Datsun 310 (Datsun model series N10)
Van (VB310) in Japan came only with Round-eye headlamps Wagon (WB310) came only with 3-piece bumper 7901-7909 カリフォルニア A14 round-eye 7910-8010 カリフォルニア A14 square-eye 8011- カリフォルニア A15
Safety bumpers were optional, while most B310 models got lightweight bumper. Safety bumpers were mandatory for North America.
See main article: B310 Bumpers
1977-1979 came with round headlights. Late 1979 changed to square headlights.
See main article: B310 Grille
See main article: B310 Tail Lights
Front Combination Lights
FRONT COMBINATION LAMP 26120/26125 LAMP ASSY IKI * H8500 small bumper * H8900 big bumper 26121/26126 LENS * H8500 * H9300
Front Combo (small bumper type)
Front Combo (big bumper type)
LAMP-SIDE FLASHER 26160/26165 Round headlight KOITO * H8510 S,V, K,W low H9000 K,W high (notched) * H8510 lens Square headlight: bolts to headlight surround * H8560
North American side lamp - 1979
Rear Side Lamps - North America only - red lens
- 1979 and early 1980 Model year: round headlights
- 1980 late Model Year: square headlights 'D' grille emblem
- 1981-1982 Model Years: square headlights 'DATSUN' grille emblem
This legend will help partially to understand the plate codes listed below.
Body type (Sedan) K = Coupe W = Wagon (Sunny California/Sport Wagon) V = Van (Squareback wagon)
Engine (Base engine, which for B310 is A12S, A12A, or A13S) * H = High Engine (for B310, this is A14S) * P = Power Engine (for B310, this is A15S)
(Right Hand Drive) * L = Left-Hand Drive
Destination Country/Territory Codes * M = Australia * V = California, USA * U = USA FED (Federal, meaning non-California) * N = Canada
Transmission Codes (4-speed manual) * F = 5-speed manual * A = Automatic
Engine Suffix * E = EGI (A14E or A15E)
Body Suffix * R = 2-door sedan
B310 Trim Codes (DX [Deluxe]) * S = STD (Standard) * G = GLA (Grand Luxe Automatic) * A = ES (Coupe Elegance Sport, 7910-) * S = CT (Standard sedan) * Y = CITY DX (City Deluxe) early Van Standard SPDX A (late Van Super Deluxe A) * P = DXA (mid Van Deluxe A) * P = SPDX (early Van Super Deluxe) * H = GL# (GL, GLA) * H = GS (Coupe Grand Sport) * H(LA) = SGL * X = GX * X = RSE (Coupe Rally Sport, 7910-) * X(LA) = SGX SPT (Coupe Sport 7910-, no suffix code) DX (Coupe Deluxe -7909, no suffix code) J = DXA (late Van Deluxe A)
The "Car Number Plate" (Type Plate) is found on the cowl dash panel, in the engine room, on the center of the firewall.
Old-style Plate type used through September 1979
- WHLB310 - Wagon, Sunny Calfornia-style (semi-fastback wagon)
- H9300 - Nissan part type H93
- 65HP - lo-po (economy) A14 Engine
New-style ID plate type used starting October 1979
This style plate was first used in October 1979
- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. Japan: If you didn't know, Datsuns were made by Nissan
- Type KPB310
- K = Coupe
- P = 2nd biggest optional engine
- B310 is the model series
- Chassis No. JN1PB04S2B9259790: VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
- JN1: Japan, Nissan
- PB04S2: Manufacturer-specific
- PB04S: KPLB310
- 2 is the check digit
- B: Model year 1981
- 9: Fuji Plant
- 259790: Chassis Number
- Model KPLB310FUG
- F = Five-speed
- U = United States
- G = GL Trim
- Color, Trim 804 P
- Engine A15 Engine(S) 1488cc: S = single carb
- Trans Axle FS5W60A HB37: 60-Series Transmission and Hitachi 3.700 ratio Differential, B-style carrier
- Plant 9: Fujiya
- R = 2-dr sedan
- S = Standard Trim
- U = United States
- A12A engine, 1237 cc [different from A12 engine]
- HA38: Hitachi differential 3.839 ratio, A-style carrier
early Japan plate H9400 VB310 68 horsepower A12
JN100B310U0893142 JN1=JAPAN NISSAN CAR 00B31= U= B310= 4th generation Datsun Sunny 006=COLOR CODE ORANGE G=TRIM CODE BROWN B310QW1 W=EUROPE
E1 10 346.01 (A12 Engine) E2 10 80.024 (A15 Engine) 11 17 12 18 78.004 14 15 03 78.020 (A12-Mechanical) E4 15 0310041 (A15-Mechanical) 15 0310040 (A15-Automatic)
Trim Color Codes
Interior Trim Color
P = Black (黒) G = Brown (茶)
815 [Cornflower Blue]
See main article: B310 Badges
* 1978: Japan only * 1979: Export first year. Early 1979 USA has locking fuel door * 1980: Change to square headlights, intermittent wipers * 1981: Change to rectangular gauges * 1982: final year
Coupe: A14, A15, automatic, 4-speed or 5-speed A12A - 2-dr Sedans only. Only with 56A 4-speed A15 early: Wagon only
1979 introduction HLB310-200001~(600000) KHLB310-001001~(500000) KHLB310-500001~(999999) WHLB310-001001~(999999) WPLB310-001001~(999999)
B310 with 13" wheels were fitted with Datsun A10 (Stanza/510) front suspension, including the struts and steering linkage. This includes the large 245mm disc brake rotors. It used the larger W50 balljoints so the front track is wider than the rear by 30mm
tire edge to body edge rear: 2.5" front: 1-3/8"
B310 with 12" wheels have even track front to rear.
- B310 sedans and coupes got coil-spring 3-link rear axle assembly.
- Wagons got coil spring (Wagon = slant-back wagon, called "Calfornia" in Japan market)
- Vans (square back wagon) got a leaf spring rear axle
- GX models (including California wagon) got a rear sway bar
The differential is H150 in all cases.
Japan 1977-11 Introduction 1978-12 Minor trim update 1979-01 California (WB310) introduction 1979-10 Facelift (square eye introduction]
North America * 1978 Sep 16: EPA announces Fuel Economy of 35 mpg * 1978 Sep 21: First advert in Canada * 1978 Sep ~23: Canada Press introduction with "Datsun Media Challenge" Rally in Calgary
$4899 USD for 1980
* Category:Datsun_B310 * B310 Options * Datsun 310 * B310 Specifications * B310 vs A10 Comparison * B310 Tachometer