Datsun 1200 comes with a full temperature gauge in the dash, controlled electrically by the Thermal Transmitter (sender) that is screwed into the cylinder head.
Instrument Panel Gauge
Dash gauge. It is not unusual with any 10-year old stock radiator for the temperature to rise during summer. If you have this, don't panic. The engine can run all day close to the "H" mark. Just don't let it go over that.
According to Owner's Manual: Water Temperature Gauge, this is the normal range.
- 24880-H1000 GAUGE-water temperature JDM [kaku]
- 24880-H1000 GAUGE-water temperature B120 -7803
- 24880-H1800 GAUGE-water temperature JDM [maru]
- 24880-H1800 GAUGE-water temperature B120 7804-
- 24880-H1800 GAUGE-WATER TEMP USA [round gauge]
- 24880-H3100 GAUGE-water 1972 JDM
- 24880-H5500 INDICATOR ASS'Y-water temperature JDM B210
The instrument panel voltage regulator is integrated with the Temperature Gauge and is not sold separately. This regulates:
- temperature gauge
- fuel gauge
- 24880-H1000 METER ASSY-WATER TEMPERATURE -7803
- For round and rectangle gauge panels
- 24880-H3100 Gauge W/temp 7804- $50.60 USD
- also used by 620 truck 1972-1979
The temperature sender (sensor) is called the thermal transmitter. If varies resistance according to temperature.
Switch for Temperature Gauge (thermal transmitter) Nissan 25080-89900 GAUGE-TEMP ENGINE UNIT * BECK/ARNLEY 2010247 $8.16 * Airtex 1T1181 * STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS TS69 * ACDELCO E8041, 19107020 Most 1970s Datsuns
25251-30100 NUT [Threads for engine unit] is required. You can re-use your old one.
25080-89902 and some aftermarket have integral threads, such as this Airtext T1181
Interchange 1971-1973 1200 1973-1976 610 1968-1970 1600 Roadster 1975-1979 620 1968-1970 2000 Roadster 1972-1974 620Pickup 1977-1983 200SX 1974-1977 710 1987-1988 200SX 1980-1985 720 1979-1982 210 1977-1979 810 1970-1973 240Z 1981 810 1974-1975 260Z 1974-1978 B210 1975-1978 280Z 1986 D21 Pickup 1979-1983 280ZX 1976-1978 F10 1980-1982 310 1982-1983 Maxima 1968-1973 510 1983-1986 PulsarNX 1978-1981 510 1983 Sentra 1968 520 Pickup 1982-1986 Stanza 1969-1972 521 Pickup
25080-89900 GAUGE-TEMP ENGINE UNIT * 720 with Z20/Z22/Z24 engines * 910 with L24 engine * B11 with E15/E16 engine * N10 Pulsar with A14/A15/E15 engines * N12 Pulsar with E15ET engine * S110 Z20E/Z22E * S12 CA18ET/CA20E * T11 CA20S/CA20E Beck/Arnley 2010247 Water Temperature Switch $17.49 at schucks.com Standard Motor Products TS69 Engine Coolant Temperature Sender
25080-89912 A-series 8202- 2508089902 Subaru 25080-89902 Nissan * M16 x 1.5 threads * 17 mm hex Most 1980s Nissan
25080-89900 two-piece, 4mm diameter bullet type 25080-89901 25080-89902 M16 large type, one piece 25080-89903 M12 small type 25080-89905 for digital meter, spade, M16 x 1.5 25080-89912 spade type 25080-62200 nut type
ECU TEMPERATURE SENSOR
22630-N4200 ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR $29 USD * JAPAN C22 K.A15 JAPAN 1985-1991 (5-door high-roof) * JAPAN B120 A12S 8910- [fitted to front of intake manifold] * JAPAN B310 A14E EGI#EGR * LD20/LD20T/LD28, CD17/CD20,E13S/E15S/E15E/E15T,RD28,MA10S,Y44E,SD33 * CA18E/CA18ET,L20/L20E/L28E,Z18E/Z20E,FJ20 Specs * 19 mm hex * M12 x 1.5 threads * rectangle connector Most Fuel Injected Datsun-Nissan
First, clean the connections of the wire to the thermal transmitter (engine temp sensor).
Yellow wire just about hose clamp
Remove the wire and clean the connector. Replace. Make sure the wire fits tight.
- If both fuel and temperature gauges do not work at all, the fuse is likely burnt out. Inspect the fuse. If the fuse is good, the instrument panel voltage regulator may be bad
- If both fuel gauge and temperature gauge read incorrectly (high or low) or fluctuate, the problem is likely the shared instrument panel voltage regulator. But first check the wiring connections. They may be loose or corroded.
- If gauge reads MAX hot with ignition OFF, gauge is defective.
- If gauge reads MAX hot with ignition ON, but cold with ignition OFF, transmitter is bad
- Ground sensor wire at engine. If gauge fluctuates, gauge is bad
- Buy a 116-ohm resistor at Radio Shack or other electronics store.
- At the engine, locate the thermal transmitter:
- Pull the wire off the transmitter and put a 116-ohm resistor from the wire to earth/ground
- Turn IGN switch to "ON". Gauge should read 50C/122F, or between C and H ranges (in middle range)
Ohms Temp 100 80F 75 105 50 130 40 140 30 157 25 167 20 180 Half 15 200 just short of H