The wheelbase is the distance between the center of the front and rear wheels. All B110 Datsun 1200 models used the same 2300 mm wheelbase: Coupe, Sedan, 2-dr sedan, 4-dr sedan and wagon. The B120 Datsun 1200 pickup also used this same wheelbase except for the GB (long-wheelbase) model.
The B110 has a 2300 mm wheelbase, while the PB110 Datsun Sunny Excellent 1400 had a stretched wheelbase 40 mm longer. When the 3rd-generation Sunny B210 was designed, it used the same longer wheelbase as the PB110. The new B210-based Excellent (PB210) used this same 2340 mm wheelbase which continued through the B310 (last of the rear-wheel-drive models).
- B10: 2280 mm
- B110 : 2300 mm (reference 1)
- PB110: 2340 mm (reference 2)
- B120 : 2300 mm (reference 3)
- GB120: 2530 mm long body
- B210 : 2340 mm (reference 4)
- PB210: 2340 mm (reference 5)
- B310 : 2340 mm (reference 6)
- MINI: 2470 mm (for comparison, wikipedia:MINI (BMW))
Long Body ute is 2530 - 2300 = 230 mm longer (about 11 inch) longer. The extra length is all behind the passenger compartment. Driveshaft and pickup bed/tray is longer.
Where is the extra 40 mm (1.6 inches) used? Consider this:
- 1974 B210, with 40mm extra wheelbase, used same driveshaft as B110. Same transmission and rear axle. This indicates that the engine is in the same place relative to the rear axle, but "set back" 40mm farther away from front wheels. If the same is true for the L-series engine in PB110, there is an extra 40 mm (1.6") between the radiator core support and firewall (PB110 uses same firewall and core support as B110).
- B110: 605 | 2300 | 915
- PB110: 735 | 2340 | 915
So there is only an extra 40 mm in between the wheels, yet 130 mm more before the front wheels.
How Wheelbase Affects Performance
See wikipedia:Wheelbase for extended details. Basically:
- Short wheelbase cars generally provide a busy ride, while long wheelbase cars have a smoother ride (all other factors being equal)
- Short wheelbase increases with weight transfer to rear wheels when accelerating, while long wheelbase stabilizes such forces
1. "Datsun Sunny 1200 Parts Catalog Model B110 Series 1971", Nissan Motor Co., LTD, Japan April 1971, Page 15
2. "Datsun Sunny Excellent 1400 Parts Catalog Model PB110 Series 1971", Nissan Motor Co., LTD, Japan April 1971, Page 11)
3. "Datsun Sunny Truck Model B120" Parts catalog, October 1997 revision, Page 5
4. "Introduction of B210 Series", Nissan Motor Co., LTD, Japan July 1973
5. "Datsun Sunny Excellent 1400 Parts Catalog Model PB210 Series 1975", Nissan Motor Co., LTD, Japan, November 1976 revision, Page 5
6. B310 JDM Nissan parts catalog, November 1983 revision, Page 19