Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 23 »

Re: Revhead has a new toy... 2 door sedan 1000.
Guest_
Leigh- I like what Europe has done to you!

I reckon big banger a series and 5 speeds. As you said don, bit by bit. Get handling sorted then power.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 12:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Armidale N.S.W
Group:
Registered Users
I vote to have don fully reimbursed for the motor and freight. Meanwhile get a running A14 freshen it up and enjoy it

Posted on: 2011/11/22 15:17

From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
I'm satisfied with the end result of the dud transaction. Don't get me wrong, I wish I'd never bought the bloddy thing with the anguish it's caused me, but there's no point brooding over it. Ive let it consume me already as a couple have seen first hand but you know what. I'll make this work for me.

Although the CR 14 is sold, I'll still be sorting a cheap gearbox alternative for the new owner. I'm pretty sure he wants findings published, I'll find out first but with our state laws I'd need to run factory hardware and that could be a problem. Th CG13 has the dizzie problem to get around but might be easier. I'm not sure.

But lt looke like I've teed up an A14 and with what's left over from the A12 I should be able to make a fairly quick engine for Fang. While I won't sell the bent GX head I'll do some work to it and use it myself. It's 72 Bh on the ends and 66Bh in the middle. Others won't guarantee it under 70Bh so for hardness it's just below the cutoff. I'll strip the head, straighten it, mill the top smooth, mill the head face then do some timesert's in the dud threads. It's a gamble but it might pay off. At least I have acess to a mill. So it's only time I guess.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 19:55

From Melbourne Vic
Group:
Registered Users
fair enough if you picked up a bargain that was in unknown cond but you have been stooged being told it was a good running engine and paying accordingly, id be getting angry and getting my cash back... anyway...

whatever you do, small power ups in the little beast will be very noticable. speak to the gurus and youll get it to handle and you'll never look back

Posted on: 2011/11/22 22:01

From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
I was lucky to get anything back at all. He could have chosen to not respond to me. anyway. That's done now, at least I have some old school A series stuff.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 1:59

From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
I need more power. And an accurate speedometer. It turns out the old girl has some top end, just has a hard time getting there. On the cruise someone mentioned they were doing 140kph and I was pulling away.

I'm thinking out loud but a rough plan is.

A14, mild cam, flat tops, GX top end package and a 1 3/4" exhaust.

Posted on: 2011/11/28 8:35

Guest_
2 inch rumble don, and I'm tslking exhaust not my manhood

Posted on: 2011/11/28 10:36

From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
need a-series bottom end? pretty sure yours havent moved since i brought them home... no idea what i even got from you anymore... but willing to help you out

Posted on: 2011/11/28 10:47
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
I've got access to an A14 at the moment Mick, those engines I solt to you were A15's. A little tall for the thou, especially if I want to put a GX air cleaner under the bonnet. It'll hit the bonnet. I'm not sure how far to go at the moment. I think I'll put a junker hottie together. Use the averege GX head and see if I can salvage it. I won't be using it as a daily but I'm kind of losing interest in leaving it standardish, the cruise on the weekend was a bit of a wake up for the brakes. I rode them pretty hard at one point and got pretty bad brake fade coming down Gellies Rd to the first bridge.

Open in new window

Coning down the hill to the bridge is where it faded out so I came in a little faster than I would have liked but it all turned out well. There was no oncoming traffic. If there was it might have been a different outcome. After that I had a nice little shudder to keep me company. Nothing that can't be sorted but still. Bugger 12's. I'll see what I can sort out that I can squeeze 13's over nicely. The Wat's suit it to a tee and a lowering job is next, followed by some decent shocks and then, cash permitting, brakes. Power first. Stopping later.

Posted on: 2011/11/29 11:48

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
hahaha power first :) you rabid conejo!

A15 is the same height as a14 Don so no loss there.
You best go A15, 82mm stroke is a bonus so is the extra cc.
You can reduce the height a tad with a custom sump and slight tilting to the drivers side will allow longer inlets and better exhaust clearances. Since you will need custom engine mounts you might as well go the little extra.
Tilting 6cm from the top only moves your starter 2 cm down or thereabouts when I did it to my brothers 1000. Just gearbox mount modded one side with spacer and lever bent to straighten it back with oxy its easier than it sounds. Also you can use the a14 crank in an early block with a12a rods and shaved a15 pistons -1mm will have a lighter A14 sneaky A12 hybrid with heaps of torque even more so than the A14 due to reduce rod stroke ratio which is right for a big valve big port head.

Brakes are a must though and not expensive can help you out sourcing the parts from pinch a part, plenty of pintara rear rotors and commonho rear calipers. Although thin the Pinnie rotors are thicker and have more surface pad area than WRC winning Renault 8 gordinis and other Rallye cars of yesteyear which weighed way more.

Posted on: 2011/11/29 13:37

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 23 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]