Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

cam problems
Quite a regular
From West Auckland New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
just got my a15 going in my sunny! sounds nice & lumpy but haveing truoble with timeing & valve clearances! my mates a mecanic.

He thinks that it neads longer push rods?.
becouse the ajuster on the rocker has almost used all its thread? should the gap be biger than stock? think its set 2 0.035mm @ presnt!

with the timeing it looks a long way out but he cant see any way 2 ajust it any further!

Any help would be good! have no specs on cam cant get hold of origanel owner ither!

Posted on: 2006/6/25 2:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: cam problems
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
What you need is the right tool to ensure that the distributor is correctly positioned & timed.

One of these would very likely help out too, at least with engine setup.

As for the pushrods, is it possible that you have 1200/ A12 ones in this engine? That would certainly do it.
The gap at the valve [tappet setting] should be whatever the cam grinder says it should be. Do you know who the cam grinder is & some basic description of the cam. Ideally, you get this information from the previous owner when you buy the engine/ car, not when you can't find him anymore

Posted on: 2006/6/25 3:29

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
guy said it was a half street half race cam he couldent rember much! said sumthing like csl did the wk! may be able 2 track them down?

my m8 said eh thought thay had ground alot of the back of the lobes as it was hard 2 set gap!
when u say timeing tool do u mean timeing light? cos we used 1 but he wasnt sure what the specs on timeing a lumpy cam were! he hasnt done many a series engines!

could the cam b 4 an a12 would that explane the push rod being short? thanks

Posted on: 2006/6/25 20:38

From Adelaide, South Australia
Group:
Registered Users
What is the lift on the cam ?

The timing should be around 12.

Posted on: 2006/6/25 20:51

Albert Einstein

Put stupid oversized photo here>>

From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nz_datsun_1200 wrote:
my mate said he thought they had ground a lot of the back of the lobes as it was hard to set gap!
when you say timing tool do you mean timing light, because we used one but he wasnt sure what the specs on timing a lumpy cam were! he hasnt done many a series engines!

could the cam be for an a12 would that explain the push rod being short? thanks

Sorry NZ_Datsun, the blue writing is actually a link to another web page, so just click on it to see where it leads.
I am a very strong believer in the power of a workshop manual for all home maintainers of cars to the point that I regard them as being one of the most important tools in ones toolbox, so I was really trying to be a bit 'clever'. The less one knows about a car, the more important it becomes, & with used manuals going for as little as $5 plus postage, they must be the most cost effective tool you could own.
I have them for all the Datsun models from 1967 up to 1986 & I'm still buying the odd one here & there.

The camshafts are dimentionally interchangeable between all A series engines, so that by itself is not a problem, & the cam grinder would need to have taken quite a bit from the base circle of the cam for it to become that much of a problem,.. but I suppose that it is possible.

The timing light is just another of those important tools in the toolbox of anyone who looks after their own Datsun.

Posted on: 2006/6/25 23:15

Home away from home
From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
If there is that much of a gap, your rocker geometry will be out as well. This will chew the rocker shaft out with the side loading.

Have a talk to your local machine shop.
There are a few options to explore such as:
Having the rocker posts shortened.
Running Lash Caps.
Longer Pushrods.

Posted on: 2006/6/26 0:29

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like you may have a12 push rods you need a15 push rods set @ 14 inlet and 16 exhasut. Timing set at 32 to 34 degrees, & the points gap set @ 18 thou. Check to see that carb is not over fueling. Side drafts may alter jets, SU carbs lift the needle by 1 point.

Posted on: 2006/6/26 3:22

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
has a std a15 carb @ moment! have a 32/36 weber 4 it. i have a manual but its 4 std a15s! we set every thing 2 std! dos run very well but my m8 wasnt happy with the rockers & timeing! will pass on info hopefully he can figer sumthing out?

Posted on: 2006/6/26 7:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]