Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

crank angle sensor
Home away from home
From perf
Group:
Registered Users
just bought another ute. torbo a14.the crank angle sensor is just the dizzy modified. does anyone kow if there is a turbo dizzy that will go in?? like an e15 or something??

thanks

Posted on: 2006/10/22 14:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: crank angle sensor
Home away from home
From South Africa
Group:
Registered Users
I had the same dilemma.... was stuck with a points dizzy, and nobody
that could tell me what will fit into that. So I went forth and jumped right in at the deep side....

you get a VW-Golf-1 distributor, they are cheap.
What you need from it is the hall sender, the top shaft that fits into the weights at the bottom
and the little drum with the slots in it.

the conversion is rather straight forward, really nothing to it.

Open in new window

Posted on: 2006/10/22 17:56

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide, SA
Group:
Registered Users
Hmmm... does the golf dizzy have the module built in or is it external? (It looks external)

Posted on: 2006/10/23 4:18

Home away from home
From South Africa
Group:
Registered Users
The module itself is attached to a backing plate, that gets pulled back and forth by the vacuum advance diaphragm..... I used it just like that. it had a couple of holes in it of which one matched one of the holes in the a14 dizzy, where the points normally gets bolted down through. so I just marked the other hole in the backing plate, making sure its nice and centered.
My A14 dizzy is locked, no mechanical advance or nothing... the ECU does that...

the Golf's upper shaft has 2 pins underneath, where the springs get hooked up, I just made them fit in between the a14's weights, and when I tighten it from the top, I just added a little washer, the make sure the shaft gets tightened, so it's locked with the bottom shaft.

had to mod the part where the rotor goes... the Golf's rotor did not have the reach.... and the shaft needs a flat for the a14's rotor, but thats minor and easyly done with a file...a metal file :) and hacksaw.

Damn I should have taken pictures as I went along, never even thought of that until I was done, when I took that picture.... only took me about an hour to do it...

Posted on: 2006/10/23 6:34

Home away from home
From perf
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for the info! how reliable do you think that set is? i am thinking of the demands of high rpm...

i am also thinking of a hall effect sensor on the crank... any thoughts on this??

cheers

Posted on: 2006/10/24 3:02

Home away from home
From South Africa
Group:
Registered Users
Well Hall effect is good enough for 11K Rpm Rotary engines.... so it is as good as it gets.... I'm not sure but I think Hall is an X F1 technology that worked it's way down to us mortals here below.... heck even the space shuttle has Hall effect in its engines.... NOT ...

I think it is about the same as magnetic but way better than optical.... optical pickups has a habbit of getting dirty, which is not good for obvious reasons.

Posted on: 2006/10/24 16:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]